I know that you've got to go to Nagano if you want some quality slopes, but does anyone know any half-decent resorts sufficiently close to Nagoya to be done in a day? Something accessible by public transport would be nice too but, hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Yo Bratpack,

Fattwins is right. The Takasu area in Gifu is definitely doable as a 1 day trip. My favorite is Dynaland because they open early and I can usually toast my legs carving by noon, start the drive home at 1 PM and beat the traffic. There are also resorts like Takasu, Washigatake and White-pia close by. Each resort has it's own merits.

The Shirotori Exit off the Tokai Hokuriku expresway (a little closer to Nagoya)also has a few resorts - Winghills and Shirotori.

There are a few other places even closer like Meiho. This place tends to get packed because it is less of a drive.

Just FYI - You can do some of the Nagano resorts in 1 day trip if you are willing to sacrifice much of your evening on Route 19 as you head home. Ontake, Ontake Ropeway, MIA, Nomugitoge and Ciao Ontake (actually in Gifu) are just a few.

What type of terrain (groomed, snow parks..etc.) are you looking for?