• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dickhead

Looks like slightly tinted people 3, Orstraya 0

"THE Indian army and police rescued three foreign skiers stranded on a peak in Indian Kashmir after heavy snow triggered avalanches, the army said today.

The trio got stuck near Sunshine peak overlooking Gulmarg, the region's top ski destination, 52 kilometres north of summer capital Srinagar.

"The three remained stuck in the snow for two days," the army said.

"The (rescue) teams, after crossing very inhospitable terrain, found the three foreign nationals and brought them to Gulmarg late Wednesday evening (local time)".

The army said the three were "wet and cold and unable to move".

There were no further details on their condition.

The army identified the three skiers as Israelis Gay Landen, 32, and Ido Neigu, 31, and Norwegian Franciska Rogne, 25.

Last month, Australian climber and skier Shaun Kratzer, 31, died in an avalanche while skiing at a height of 4000m near Apherwat mountain at Gulmarg.

Gulmarg resort boasts thousands of unmarked vertical descents and has virtually no restrictions on off-piste skiing.

This year, several hundred Westerners have been skiing in the heavily-snowed area which falls close to the militarised de facto border dividing Kashmir between India and Pakistan."

The front pic on Simon's website is a bit funny but calling him a cowboy is easy mud-slinging. Being bilingual when you need to call for rescue in Japan is useful so is the 10 years' experience on the mountain. I have been touring with Simon before and he did a great job. As for certifications, I do not know of many people with true guide certifications in Japan. That's just the way it is here. To be honest I would rather go with a guy who knows the mountain and has 10 years experience on it than with a fully certified guide who has not much experience of the place. By the way, the only time I ever got caught in an avalanche was with a professional guide in Europe (they're supposed to have the toughest standards as well).

Anyways, the rant was about the tone of the article. Nobody denies the fact that the rescuers did a great job and saved lives. I hope you guys can get over it.

Interesting post Soub. I always wondered about mountains in that neck of the woods. They must have some pretty huge vert over there. Maybe next road-trip!

The article does have a wiff of sensationalism and nationalism I admit, so lets not confuse one journo's need to sell papers with the brave deeds of these guys. Aussie or not. Only the guys on the mountain know what really happened. My mate was with this group of Thredbo patrollers the week before this, so I guess I'll get it 3rd hand when I see him.

Soub- Not sure why your attacking us all.

Not doubting he's a great guy, But the point is , Is he trained to deal with emergencies? If not, guiding in an avalanche prone area isn't very professional so that would qualify him as a cowboy, in the loose and reckless sense. If he is trained it would be a good business practice to state the fact in his sales pitch which he hasn't done.