I travelled with SAS earlier this month for my ski hols in Hokkaido. Their website said ski kit was only included in the free allowance as part of 20kg limit, so I cut right back on my main bag. At the airport they weighed my rucksack and boots (about 18Kg total) and just asked me how heavy my skis were. "Very light" I said and they never weighed it, just tagged it and took it to the oversize baggage counter. Must admit I never checked allowances before I booked the flight, but will do next time.

I find the allowances very confusing - and actually I think lots of people involved in the airlines and bookings do not know themselves. Going to the UK now if you are to transfer even within the UK you are now officially only allowed one piece of hand luggage. But on the BA website it reads as though you can take a laptop + that hand luggage, as well as 1 piece of sports equipment. I'm sure there must be some real problems with people just not understanding what is and what is not allowed. I find it very annoying.