Been off line for quite a bit, but just a few words re the first slides of the year.

A late(ish) start to the season all round, no more so than here in the West. Spent 5 days in Hiroshima & Shimane on barely passable snow. This time last year was cutting the cream cheese on the same slopes.

But can't complain, had a buzz with other families for 2 days and enjoyed with the wife & kid for the remainder.

Just a few noted points:

-ive:

- boarders and skiers lines really are poles apart no more apparent than on congested slopes due to resorts not fully open. No finger pointing, but esp learning boarders really do have a blind side that can create real problems. I watched from a lift an almost scripted comical situation where 2 boarders - 1 goofy - on either side of a widish (60+m) course, slid closer and closer to each other, completely unaware of each others presence to finally collide back to back in the centre of the course. Didn't look good.

- a boarder who wiped out near us waiting right on the margins - read tree line - does his backward rollover to get upright again(wadda call that), edge shaving my kids face by only 10cms.

- a kid skier who obviously can't turn (or stop quickly) runs into the back of my wife. We were practising turns on the course edge away from the grems, but...? Where were the parents - Ha bloody Ha.

- a wanky skier tries to change sides of the lift over his daughter, AFTER the lift is moving. What a cock up. Where was his parents???

- on already painfully thin snow, why do boarders who haven't got the confidence to go straight down over icy patches or steeper sections, grade the shit out of the slope baring grass & dirt. I'm sure they're oblivious to it all. Skiers bogganin' down definitely don't do the same damage. Everyones gotta learn but get it right before moving onto inter & above slopes.

+ives:

- so nice to get out of the city and into the mountains.

- so good to finally accept that skiing for me is not about me and my mindset. Enjoying with friends, taking it easy, watching the kids (10 of 'em)have fun and getting a big buzz out of them improving.

- skiing over the mountain with my daughter (8yrs). She follows me, sometimes I follow her, she sings as she slides - a joy.

- having an 11 0'clock beer and a 1:30 wine at break time. Takin' it sleazy.

- restaurants became non-smoking. Woooo-blooody-Wooo! Yes! The days of poisonous incubators gone?

- the generally good feelings of all riders towards ea other on the mountain. Conditions were not the best at all 3 resorts, but generally people smiling, friendly and creating a good atmosphere.

- and to Stingy Mizuho (Shimane pref) for giving the first semblance of a long awaited discount package of any sort - stay at the local onsen - nice rooms/cottages - on a week day and you get free carparking and 2 days lift ticket for the price of one. Saved us 3 about ¥17000.

Now it's dumping and we are home, but hope to get amongst it again soon(???) \:\)