Hi guys

I am currently in japan on holidays

I will be in Kyoto from the 1st to the 7th and i am wanting to do a 1 day trip to the snow.. i have a JR pass so i can use the bullet train but do you know if this is possible to do a day tour type thing.. and any linnks i should check out? I am also a fairly tall person so would getting hire gear be an issue??

thanks heaps

I live in Tokyo. So, I do not know about how to reach ski resorts from Kyoto. I believe Kyoto has snow sometimes, but has no big ski resorts around there. There might be any of one-night&one-day ski bus tour from Kyoto or Osaka to Nagano ski resorts. (It's 20-30 min train from Kyoto to Osaka. HANKYU line is cheaper. Osaka is a big city where even I lose my way sometimes.) You may get info at some tourist offices at Kyoto station. Anyone of the local SJ member would provide info....

ciao,

If you don't mind being in the train all night, there are trains that will get you to hakuba area or yuzawa area before 08:00. If you wana get on the first bullet train from Kyoto at 06:15 you will be in yuzawa at around 10:30 and hakuba at 11:15. If you are interested tell me and I will send you more details. Unfortunately I don't know any link for a site in English to send you.

wow thanks!

yeah i am very interested in going to Yuzawa, i herd that the station is at the top of the mountain so its easy access. I would also need to hire all gear etc.. are there lockers available to store my stuff while i snowboard??

Never been to Gala Yuzawa myself I usually go to Kagura. From friends that have been there I know that you will find anything you need at the station, from lockers to rentals. I usually get of the train one station before Gala and take the bus to Kagura. It is about 20 minutes ride from the station but I think it worth`s the trouble. Check the riders reviews for the ski resorts in Yuzawa area before you decide.