I'm looking at getting an all-round freeride board this season, but I can't decide between the Burton Custom X and the Baron ES. To be honest, I can't really tell the difference except that the Baron ES has a slightly wider nose and tail. What, if any, effect does this have? And is there anything else I'm missing? They both sell for the same price and seem to be targeted at the same type of rider, so I'd appreciate any advice from any more knowledgeable boarders out there before I part with such a large amount of cash. Thanks!

I'm not a big fan of Burton, so I may not be the best source, but I believe the Baron ES is the wide version of the Custom X. If you have larger boots, you might want to consider the Baron ES over the Custom X to avoid the dreaded toe/heel drag. I personally think you can get a better board for less cash, but to each his own.

man, how can you compare a nitro team to a custom x??? a low-end freestyle board vs a high-end allround board. apples & oranges mate

btw, xilr8, the only difference seems to be in the core. custom x has the

Positive Core Profile

Creates strong edge hold and drive through turns.Thicker between the bindings, thinner towards the nose and tail. Drives you through a turn while increasing edge grip, response and carving precision.

baron es has:

Even Core Profile

All-around performance.Designed to handle anything, it creates a consistent flex and feel over the entire length of the board, promoting stability at all speeds. Stiff enough to power through turns, yet playful enough for buttering and rails.

I've just cut & pasted this from the burton site. the best thing you can do is go to www.burton.com and join the community forums there and ask your questions re: boards. You'll get loads of great info.

basically if you have big feet then get the baron es, if not get the custom x. both are amazing boards.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jase_180:
"a low-end freestyle board vs a high-end allround board"

I guess if you believe the hype... also depends what you call an all round board.
I've ridden both....have you?

I have size 11 feet, so I could go with either Custom X or Baron ES, but I'd rather go with the Baron ES because the I like the design more!

Had a look at the Anthem, seems ok, but yeah, I do believe the hype, and I trust Kuma's opinion too as I know he has ridden a fair few boards.

thanks for the vote of confidence xilr8 \:\)

If you like the design of the baron es more then go for it. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed (regardless of the hype!). Remember that the custom design has been around for over 10 years...so if it was just hype people would have stopped buying it. The Baron is a wide custom so I assume it's the same. I've ridden the 06/07 custom x and custom, plus some other customs over the years. custom x is alot stiffer than the custom, but this year they've put the vapor skin topsheet on it which makes it lighter. the vapor skin is on the baron es too thumbsup.gif

Rome & Option have good reps too so the anthem & makinen could be comparable. the nitro team is a twin....not quite an allmountain board. Jase_180 instead of going on vaguely about hype and being suckered, why don't you write about your experiences with the boards and why you think one is better suited for xilr8 than another?

One negative thing about Rome is that it is expensive in japan (too expensive imo) so you'd be paying about the same for either a board with super tech or a board with regular tech. Option you can prob find in Tokyo, but as for availability in your size, you can't beat burton.

Whichever you decide, make sure you post a board review and let us know about it thumbsup.gif

Is there really that much difference between one high end board and another? All boards aimed at a particular type of use are going to be pretty similar in the way they perform. For the vast majority of riders (myself included), changes in terrain, snow conditions, wax job, stance, bindings and the rider’s frame of mind (hung over, riding with mates, trying to keep up) probably overwhelm any technical differences in the boards.

For those of you who have ridden boards to compare performance, how often has it involved keeping everything else (terrain, bindings etc.) the same? How often do you ride one board down the hill, move the bindings to the new board and go back up and ride down again, or even do comparisons in roughly similar conditions? Sure there is a fair difference between a free style board and a freeride board but from one high end freeride to another – maybe it’s just me and I’m particularly insensitive to the subtle differences in performance and ride, but I reckon for 99% of the riders on the mountain those differences will be lost in the back ground noise.

Decide on the type of riding you do, find a board that is aimed at that type of riding and then go for a happy combination of size (L + W) v price v graphics v customer support. Forget the marketing hype – it’s BS.

short answers: yes & yes

yes there can be a difference between boards

yes, I've tried different boards in the same circumstances (terrain, weather, bindings, etc)

Some boards I like from the second I get off the lift, some boards are ok and I can grow to like them, and some boards I don't like at all.

Kuma, the Nitro team is a directional twin with a set back stance and a degressive sidecut.

It is billed as a freestlye board but really it can go anywhere. It is not a one dimentional true twin park slayer. I ride it in the park and in the powder.

My experience with burton in general is that the high end boards are good but way too expensive for what they are.

My 2c

Any board can really go anywhere. Just like any board is fine in powder.

I have no problems with the Nitro team and I think it's a fine board for what it is. It's a tough-as-nails freestyle board and if it does the job for you all over the mountain then great. That's all you can really ask for from a board. \:\)

re: my favourites Rag-doll. I would have to say that I like lively boards that have some good pop (ie stiff tails). I had a burton canyon back in the day (7 years ago!) that I loved. That was when in was the wide equivalent of the custom. after that burton cheapened it \:\(

5 years ago I was given a nitro suprateam which i fell in love with. I have now gotten a new suprateam for this upcoming season. I hope they haven't changed it too much otherwise I will be very disappointed. The suprateam is the ultimate do-it-all board. You always hear about boards that carve well, go really fast,turn on a dime, ollie really high and float well in pow. Well, this board actually does it and it's been a wellkept secret for the 5 years it's been out. I will be posting a review after I get 10 days on it this year.