TP You won a trip to Iwate? Way cool.... will you still try skiing once you're up and about again, or will that wait till next season?

Wow Markie - thankfully that didn't happen before your Japan trip. Hope it heals up nicely for France.

Hi Sunrise!

Yep i won \:\) and i am very excited about that, i just dont know when i will be ready for snow again.

That trip will be perfect for my wife and i. Quality time and all.

I REALLY want to try some skiing, looks like a lot of fun, i even had a dream about skiing last night (i have snowdreams all the time) But i will probably not buy gear this season, my economy is not doing so well after this incident.

My only worry is that i will never get any good at skiing if i spread my effords.

anyway it's time for some breakfast

ATB

TP

Oh Sunrise, thanks for getting this tread back on subject ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderpants:
(i have snowdreams all the time)
As a student of Dr Freud, allow me to interpret your dreams for you.

snowdreams + nice warm bed and blanket = melted snow dreams = wet dreams

Enjoy!

Stick to economics Markie!

Too bad there, Thunder, but once again an illustrative story for us all.

In a bad snow year when everyone's crowded onto some crappy narrow bit with icy manmade on it, it's all to tempting to hit a closed course, but this year some of them have been really sketchy. I poached a couple of lines down closed Tsugaike courses on my skis after the first foot dump on the hill on maybe Dec 26. I'm a real novice on skis and so had plenty of time at my snail's pace to spot all of little dips and the concrete and steel water channels running across the course. With thin snow cover, the courses are much rougher. Had I been on my snowboard, I would have been too busy whooping and keeping up a healthy speed for the flatter sections to worry about hitting anything unforgiving. I know a few blokes who've already wrecked their boards from riding closed courses this year.

As for trying something new from soft boot snowboarding, maybe have a go at hard boots. From soft boots, the learning curve is not as steep as skiing and it will feed back into your regular snowboarding. As ever, try before you buy.

oh yeah, I remember drawing heat last season for considering trying out a new thing. Tele or skiing leading into randonee style AT stuff was tempting, as too alpine carving for 'park days'. But I decided that my 'new thing' is slowly building up and exploring purely BC snow activity using a splitboard. I will have to wait for next season for the split setup but am starting the beginner BC stuff this year. Eventually I want to do some alpine touring/camping. This season I will also do a bit of spring time trekking in the European Alps - > corn, crust, perhaps a coulior or two. I am trying out some gear variations as well. The biggest trial will be using Dynafit AT boots and toe flip bomber style plate bindings on my beaten old second hand freeride board. I quite look forward to the hard shell AT's for climbing and trekking (nice rockered vibram soles) and also riding hard pack and edgy steep stuff.

Regarding the snowshoes, it will be interesting to hear if it was the MSR shoes that were sinking. I heard that if you are light then the flotation tails are not usually needed unless the snow is super fluffy. Overall though, they get great reviews and I reckon I will be getting some.

I really envy you guys living in the snow and being able to get out there and do it rather than sit on an internet forum and talk shite about what you want to do from a place with no snow