Ok, starting this up to answer Tsondaboys question about boots.

Check out this one:

middle_1145378840.jpg

it has a vibram sole for hiking and a moving upper cuff plus speed lacing. I believe it's 39000yen. The burton site goes up aug.1

I like Burton for boots because if you do need to warranty them during the season you get them back faster than any other brand = no wasted days thumbsup.gif

Only other brand I've heard things about are 32 boots. and I forget who but someone on this forum swears by DC.

Oh, and Tsondaboy you might check out the Burton Drivers too. real stiff boot good for bx. also have the vibrams sole.

Thanx Kuma! I will check them out as soon as they are on the selves. \:D

Definitely though I am not going to buy something straight from a catalogue. I will have to put them on at least once before I decide. That’s the way I picked my Rulers too, I liked the design of an other boot more but when I actually put them on sucked so I went for the ones that fitted best on my feet.

My biggest problem is that I have “Akebono” stile chicken legs. :p

So it is really hard to find something that is tight around my ankle. I ve tried the speed lacing system once last year and I have to admit that I was not satisfied. I cant get it tight enough, so I am even thinking of buying conventional lacing boot again.

The reason why I was thinking about the DC ones is that because some friends that have them were complaining that they are too tight for them, so they might be actually just right on my feet. I still need to go and put them on though and see for my self how they feel. I have also heard many good things about the Salomon Malamutes.

Now as for the Burton guarantee policy.

My way of thinking goes: Would you buy a sports car and start speeding, when you have heard many complains from people they have it that it brakes down too often and there is a high possibility that it will brake down when you are driving? Even if you know that the maker offers full replacement guarantee of the car in case of an accident?

Tsondaboy, I have talked about the many Burton complaints made by people ie on these boards with a couple of tenchou's & shop workers I know. They said that Burton is one of the best companies and they do design excellent products. (no, it's not a marketing speech). They spend the most on r&d and are continually coming out with new technologies and furthering the sport. The main reason that you hear many complaints is because they sell so much. The guys I spoke to said that they were pretty sure that Burton warranty rates of return were no different to any other companies and prob even lower. Now, that is not to say that everything Burton makes is perfect. It's common sense to stay away from 1st year technologies since they are more likely to have design problems. Also, if you research the product you want you will likely turn up bad reviews from people if it's a bad product. Obviously, if you buy a new product at the start of the season then it is a gamble and sometimes you get something defective. That's with any company. The reason why I mentioned Burton's warranty is because in the off-chance that something goes wrong they have the fastest turnaround and there's nothing worse than wasting snowdays because your gear is still in the mail.

With your example of the sports car Tsondaboy I wouldnt buy the car if there were lots of complaints. There's nothing wrong with having an excellent warranty.

If you have issues with laces being not tight enough then you should prob avoid the speed lacing. I have a pro bx friend who hates the speed lacing because he can't get it tight enough. I, on the other hand, love it.

The Warranty return rates argument is very good Kuma, but since I am a doubting Thomas I would not be convinced unless I see official numbers. :p

Quote:
I have a pro bx friend who hates the speed lacing because he can't get it tight enough.
I also got the same impression last year when I put on the SL-8`s. Still, if this year I put the new model on and feels nice I might get them. I admit that thanks to my Rulers, I hold in high esteem Burton boots.

You've got the right attitutde there tsondaboy. Don't listen to the marketing, just go with what feels best. Here are the new DC's

http://www.dcapac.com/

go to snow 2006 and then boots. I think it's the 07's but I could be wrong.

07 speed lacing is new. the wires are thinner but stronger. Don't know if that solves the tightness problem. Stay away from BOA though!

Nop, that’s still the 05/06 models for DC.

Burton bindings are something I will think twice before buying again….

I have 2 sets and I was not 100% satisfied with anyone.

The P-1 carbons I am using now fit great on my boots, but their quality is a big issue.

I am happy riding them, but every time I use them I pray that this wont be the time that will brake down when I am charging.

That said, the cap strap is amazing.

while it is very hard to give advice on boots because the main factor is the shape of your foot and lower leg....

Salomon boots are great!

I have narrow ankles (I call them elegant, rather than 'chicken legs', but hey whatever) and Burton boots always feel too wide and sloppy and not tight enough - the Salomons are the only boots i've found so far that have fitted properly - had 2 pairs of malamutes now, and they improve with each season.

The other boots that i would like to check out are the deeluxe ones - with the removable tpr plastic insert sticks - so you can make them softer or stiffer. seems good, and they are popular in japan (maybe even made to Japanese foot lasts) so should be good for narrow ankles.

I ve heard (though I might be mistaken) that for some models of Deeluxe they do custom fitting at the shop. You have to be in the shop for at least 1 hour, wile the warm up the inline of the boot and fit it on your leg to take the exact shape. If that’s true Deeluxe might be a good choice for next season.

it is true. deeluxe boots are full on custom fitting. that said, a friend suffered for the first few days because they hurt so much (don't know if they got better). The deeluxe womens team is pretty cute thumbsup.gif I've got their photos lying around somewhere - they came to my shop for a promo

Salomon also are heat moldable in shop.

As are 32, and some Vans...

Aren't Burton, DC, K2 ???

It's pretty much the same process as wearing them for a while - just having that shape from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
it is true. deeluxe boots are full on custom fitting. that said, a friend suffered for the first few days because they hurt so much (don't know if they got better). The deeluxe womens team is pretty cute thumbsup.gif I've got their photos lying around somewhere - they came to my shop for a promo
would be intereested to know if they got better - sometimes boots that hurt for a few days become the best fit, instead of comfortable ones becoming too sloppy.

or sometimes they just keep hurting.

oh, and the deeluxe women's team pix are obiously essential to our boot fitting research...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
The deeluxe womens team is pretty cute thumbsup.gif I've got their photos lying around somewhere - they came to my shop for a promo
I didn’t know that you own/work at a snowgear related shop kuma.
Post some picks plz. \:D
 Quote:
Originally posted by AK 77:
(yes, I'm bored at work)
Same goes for me.

I checked my horoscope in the newspaper this morning and it said that my
Lucky word for the day is “procrastinating”. \:D

Tsonda - I have skinny feet and ankles. The Salomon Malamute is perfect for me. On the other hand, Burton boots are very poor fits for my feet. In both cases it is the liner that makes the big difference. Try the Malamute!