• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defintely travel / experience etc. and also the real possibility of living near some decent mountains and a reliant snow fall. As much as I love dear old Mt Hotham in Victoria, it ain't really a mountain !

well then take your time and do the research i think that you would like living in nagano or matsumoto. you wouldnt have to pay an arm and a leg to see either tokyo or osaka. ie its a good point for just about anything. Niseko hokkaido fine but you are gonna have to spend the bucks to fly off of the island.

Cheers mate for the advice. Will certainly look into it further, and the point re: hokkaido is a good one. Tokyo is of no interest (to live there, but to visit yes) and the same with osaka / kyoto.

Anyway, there are certainly worse things to occupy my mind. Just wish I could get over there sooner, but Feb 07 is the earliest.

Yeah i am thinking that I will be giving up some work ideal purely due to the fact that i am arranging something in advance and having visa / accom. etc. sorted for me. Will see how it goes.

OK, will check out what the exact deal is with both companies re: accom. etc. There is also James English School (JES) which has schools in northern honshu which sound pretty good. Have you heard of JES ?

Quote:
Originally posted by danharman:
Cheers. I also have a couple of interviews lined up with AEON and also ECC. Have heard mixed reports about both schools. Know of them ?
I dont think any of the Aeons,Novas, ECCs are better than the other. The main factor is: is your branch manager cool or a bi#ch? Women in power in Japan, probably more than other areas, grasp at straw to get more power and Ive heard from many peeps how they had to walk on egg shells around them. Bad thing is, you wont know what branch you will be at until just before, and usually, schools DONT want you to get in contact with other teachers there bc they dont want you to know any bad crap or hear any bad mouthing.

The year starts in April (except for Eikaiwa's where its year round). Coming in February would be good timing for you. You could get a year's experience then try to find a HS/JHS job. With at least 3 months vacation why would anybody wanna do Eikaiwa is beyond me...guess some peeps dont like kids.

try ohayosensei.com
gaijinpot.com
jobsinjapan.com
 Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
. With at least 3 months vacation why would anybody wanna do Eikaiwa is beyond me...guess some peeps dont like kids.
Eikawas are great way to meet people (other gaijins), you make heaps of contacts and friends.
Not all JHS and HS give you great vacations, I have some friends that have to go to school during school vacations and sit their bored senseless with the J- teachers with nothing to do all day, crazy but true.
The best deals are university jobs, tutoring etc - those guys hardly ever work!!!
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
Every man and his dog with a PhD is after those jobs.
my friends are tutors at a big foreign language university, no PhDs to be seen! lucky buggers

wow. Lucky buggers indeed! I heard from a mate at a uni that when they advertised for a new position (by law they have to, even if it does go to someone who knows someone inside) they got over a thousand applications, almost all of which had masters in esl or teaching. To cull it down a bit they decided to limit it to those with Phds. They were still left with over 300 applications. Not the easy market it once was...