I have this problem. My Japanese friends like resorts I'm not mad on. Read Sugadaira and a few other smaller places, those near Suwa. For some reason they are not over keen on Nozawa which is somewhere I want to go to a lot when I'm in Japan. I'd rather take a bit of a longer trip to get somewhere decent than save an hour on the road.

What about you?

Another thing about going with friends. I usually end up just being with guzzler even if we go in a group so being with lots of people isn't important to me. Actually some of the groups I have been with have ended up being just totally frustrating. We seem to have spent half the time either deciding where to eat or where to meet.

Don't have that problem - don't ski with Japanese friends. Not into big groups myself either , can be a lot of hassle.

Sometimes my friends all want to ride pipe or park and go to a local resort with a shitty pipe or park. When they do that I just go whereever i want without them. Actually I do that whether they want to come with or not. Winter is so short here that i don't have time to spend going somewhere i don't want. Before I had a car though it was way different

I refuse to go somewhere I'm not keen to go to. As you said, too few days to waste. I'd rather go on my own.