Righto, here's my story: (apologies if it should be placed elsewhere in the forums)

I arrive in Tokyo on March 25th and have 6 days to either bum my way up to Niseko or shoot straight up and ski for those 6 days. This'll be my first time in Japan, but considering I live in Scotland, any snow at all is a blessing so I'm not bothered if the powder isn't up to perfect standards.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I can expect

and where to find it,in terms of snow, liftpass costs,ski/boot hire prices and available kit, or will the season be ending and I'm better off just taking my time and sight seeing my way up the country?

I'm going to be living and working in Niseko for the next 6 months raft guiding so if anyone out there wants to hook up for either some skiing, kayaking, climbing etc I'll be more than happy to return the favour in beer!

Cheers me dears, Dan

Hiya Sweaty Sock (joke cos you beat us a rugby)

Personally I would shoot straight to Niseko and bugger the cost. However, if you wanted to get some runs in before cruising up to Niseko then I recommend searching on this site for YUZAWA resorts in Niigata or HAKUBA resorts in Nagano for some early spring riding with everything easily at hand.

Rough costs - lifts - 4000yen perday. Hire - max 3500yen per day (check that tho').

However, do a search for the above resort areas and you will find loads of info on this site.

Personally tho' I would get to Niseko asap.

Welcome wave.gif

To get from Tokyo to Niseko you will have to pass through Tohoku. You can stop at Zao (Yamagata) and/or Appi (Iwate).

I'm going to Appi next week (thanks for the freebie SnowJapan happyglass.gif ) and I'll be covering snow conditions when I write it up.

Buy some cheap sale gear in Tokyo (Kanda district, use the JR Ochanomizu station and ask the cops in the koban police box in front of the station for directions \:\) ) Then making your way up to Hokkaido via Zao and Appi and riding in those places sounds like a fun way to go. Realistic? I'm not sure..

Ok, Niseko it is then. Cheers for the info guys. If there's anymore, keep it coming, it's all good. Cheers!!

Weegeoff

How did you manage to fly from Glasgow? I've had to drag myself to Heathrow first! I fly out on the March 24th. Will you be going to Niseko also? If so, (or even not I guess) and you don't know anyone out there either and fancy a beer or ski, let me know and I can PM(??)you my email.

Dan