My interpretation is any aspect that is wooded and they're not runs in the sense of a ski run or trail. They are good for any number of reasons like the pitch, length, quality of snow, where they end up, spacing between the trees.

Next time you're on the mountain and see a wooded slope that looks consistently steep and has lines that pop out somewhere that gets you back to a lift-that merryJim may well be a good tree run.

I find tree runs easier than slopes crowded with 2000 people because the trees dont pop out at you either...branches may whack you in the face though.

Guess tree boy aka kamo aka kamoshika aka snowglider is better left to explain the movement of trees than I am since it seems a huge one jumped out in front of him somehow confused.gif :p

I guess maybe tree runs could mean

#1 Courses with more trees like "tanne no mori" at Shiga kogen ichinose area.

#2 To ski/snowboard down to the bottom passing through inbetween trees which is a lot of out of courses full of pow

?

Some resorts (in the US at least, dunno about elsewhere) will take wooded slopes, thin out the underbrush while still leaving most or all of the larger trees, and designate it as an ungroomed in-bounds "glade" run. They usually jack up the posted difficulty a notch or two compared to wide-open runs on the same aspect and post stern admonishments at the gates about not skiing alone. This seems to be popular in New England (hey, there are about three bowls in all of NH and they're not lift-served; gotta do something to liven up the place).

Tree skiing is great fun; it really gives you an incentive to learn to turn when you *have* to, not just when it's convenient. Just remember -- you'll go where you look, so don't stare at the trees unless you want to hug them!

I wish Zao would do that... I'd love a juhyou glade run or two; it'd make the place come a lot closer to living up to its hype.