Some resorts take away your lift pass if they catch you ducking the ropes, other resorts seem to just make it your responsibility and will leavy a hefty rescue charge if need be. Which one is Joetsu Kokusai and how are the tree runs? (I'm going there on the upcoming weekend.)

I spent the whole day at Tashiro-Kagura yesterday doing tree runs, hella fun. Until now the off piste powder's been too deep for my shorter skiis, but with recent warm weather solidifying the base (probably) and Saturday's snowfall meant that there was about knee deep light powder so even I could make it through the trees, given enough steepness. Anyways, it was the first time I spent extensive time going off course and had so much fun that I'd like to do it again, snow conditions permitting.

Thanks.

be very careful skiing trees. ALWAYS go with a buddy and stay reasonably close. many hazards are hidden and can surprise even the most vigilant rider.

every year people die (again this year) meters from the groomed runs because of a simple mishap. the greatest danger is falling into a tree well ( the hole that forms around a trunk) and not being able to get out. if you fall face down in hole suffocation/asphyxiation can happen within minutes. meanwhile it is extremely hard to find people in the trees. other dangers are creeks, rocks, and getting lost (if the trees could lead you out of bounds, wear a compass and carry emergency supplies).

a storm whistle is dirt cheap, so there no reason not to have one. (best is one with no moving parts and a distinctive sound - i.e. not like the wind)

a radio is extra insurance and very useful (but carry the whistle too!)

wear a helmet if you don't already. frozen trees and branches aren't forgiving.

carry a shovel to help dig out your buddy.

i'd say these are minimal items for inbound areas

if you're out of bounds, backcountry safety applies. i won't say anything on that since there's a whole forum for that topic.

ok, warnings aside, trees can be the most fun you'll have on the slopes. visibility is great, the terrain is easy to read, the scenery is beautiful, and the snow is often better.

have a good one!

Thanks for the advice and warnings.

I'm staying inbounds or just skiing next to the courses, but yeah people have been buried only a few metres from groomed courses, so I understand that there are risks.

Am wearing a helmet and went with a buddy, but need to at least get the whistle, and maybe a shovel.

Thanks again.

Yesterday I got a few nice lines on inbound slopes that were not groomed (actually they were not trails since everything was groomed). That was before I let my mate chop them up and the couple of brave Japanese who had no idea what they were doing go down and cut through my tracks.

There was some great pow on the left side of the trail on the slope leading down on the skiers only run. It is also the place where I almost broke my neck near a tree well, I saw it, tucked my skis, in, did a great flip into soft powder. I haven't had a crash like that in over 3 seasons.

Sorry, don't have the trail map handy and every time I try to enter kanji it goes mojibake, but will try to post the info later.

Talked to patrol a bit but didn't have a chance to ask about their policies. Hint: Talk to the female patrollers, the one I spoke to was cool while the guy was not helpful, giving the standard "dunno" answer when asked when the only advanced run, Olympian, would open.

OK, I finally figured out the kanji, the skier only run is Atema Glende #8 Run. If you veer left off the trail, you can ski some nice pow, just be careful jumping off the last part so you don't hit the building.

Also, the first few runs of the day off the back side of Nagamine Romance Lift were nice powder, don't know why there were so few lines, although it was only about 4-5 turns.