Hey,

Never been to Japan before, but I'm heading to Furano soon.

I'm hearing a lot of reports about how crazy the prices are there. We've budgeted about 4000 yen per day after lifts & accom.

Can I get some opinions?

Also, is Furano interesting enough to keep us riding for 21 days??

Cheers guys.

21 days?

Nowhere is that interesting for me. I would have thought a definite no to that.

And I can't imagine Furano being particularly more expensive than other places..... it would be interesting if that were the case (why?)

There are loads more ski hills in that area of Hokkaido to explore icebreaker so I would definitely not limit myself to one resort for 21 whole days. If it was Hakuba, where you have many resorts within a short drive then I would say 21 days would be fine but if you intend on staying put in 1 small resort for 3 whole weeks then I think it is a bit of a lost opportunity not seeing and exploring other places.

Also, if you intend on going out drinking a bit then budget a bit more than 4000 yen a day. If you are happy with cooking for yourselves then I think 4000 yen a day should be fine.

Just a guide:

Lunch on the hill - approx. 1000 yen

Onsen - 500-1000 yen

TINY box of cereal - 500 yen

Alternatively 500 yen in a convenience store will buy you something a lot more filling than the TINY box of cereal. Say, 4 onigiris (rice balls), bento box, etc.

Yeah, going out drinking would easily blow the 4000 yen budget. Staying home and drinking, that's much cheaper, but you won't meet many people that way :p