I’m gong to be in Tokyo for week of work and I managed to get a free weekend to ski. So I’m looking to go up to the Nagano area for the weekend. The question I have is which place is best for two days. I’m looking at the weekend of the Feb. 4 ,5 or 11,12.

For transportation I’m looking at Tokyo-Nagano by Shinkasuen then Nagano to ski area by bus. I noticed a bus from Nagano to 47 that was run by the ski area but it only runs once in the morning. Are there any other buses?

Can some one recommend a cheap place to stay?

Thanks

If you are heading towards hakuba area I recommend you to get on the Friday night train from Shinjuku. I did the root last week and it is not very bad. The train leaves from Shinjuku at 23:54 on Friday night and reaches hakuba at 5:36 on Saturday morning. It is only 5760 yen one way. This way you can get on the first lifts at any resort in hakuba area and have a full day skiing on Saturday.

Have you considered also the option of going in Niigata instead of Nagano? It is only 1.5 hours ride from Tokyo station to Echigo Yuzawa with shinkansen. The first train is at 6:10 in the morning with a train running almost every 20 minutes after that. You can buy the skipu ticket from any JR-byu plaza which is 10700 yen roundtrip.

If you can handle Japanese sites, I recommend you to book somewere from rakuten travel site. I usually find places to stay in hakuba from 2500~ per person/night and 3000~ for Yuzawa.

Started telemarking last year. On Teles which i will be taking can get down a medium intermideate run. But if i have to i can get down harder things if i have to.

Thanks alot tsondaboy

You should check then Kandatsu or Ishiuchi-maruyama for intermediate runs and Kagura for something more chalenging.

If you decide to go to kagura make sure you call them in the morning to check if all areas are open. If only Mitsumata area is open, beter head for Ishiuchi or Kandatsu.