Snow gear shopping in Japan - Tokyo - Hakuba

Hey all,

Planning a trip to Hakuba around Mid Feb. Not quite end of season so i'm wondering whether is should buy my snowboard equipment in Aus first, or will it be worth going to japan to buy equipement.

Also hoping there won't be sizing problems.

Maybe some of you with experience shopping will be able help out a bit, and see how the prices compare.

Heres what i'm considering atm confused.gif :

Boots size 6 (wms):

Vans - encore ~$345 aud

DC Judge ~$449 aud

Bindings - Ride VXN or DVA, or Burton Lexa, Escapade

Board - Ride solace 146cm ~$700 aud

Goggles - Bolle or Smiths. I'm thinking of getting them here. ~$130-170 AUD

Helmet - ?

That's just what i've been considering for a comfy all mountain ride. Any other brands to consider?

Also found that nice list of snow stores in Jimbocho while searching this forum, will be checking those out thumbsup.gif

Let me know what you think.. buy here or buy there? (no point buying there if i'm not going to save any $$$) TIA cool.gif

How much spare shopping time do you have? How confident are you in basic Japanese (do you have this in a smaller size without the blah blah blah....). Jimbocho has it all, but you will need a day to get through it all and find what you want at the price you are prepared to pay.

Personally, I would buy it in Oz as it is simply easier unless you know exactly what you want and can go about finding it with a shopping efficiency not common to women (no offence. It is just Jimbocho has such a huge range that you can very easily fall victim to indecision).

It sounds like you are wealthy enough to replace your entire kit in one big day of shopping. If that is the case then I wouldn't bother trying to save the odd $100 here and there. Just get it at home.

thanks for the replies guys,

Maninjapan: I will be bringing all my stuff with me on the plane if i were to buy it in Australia. Snowbag wheelie will do the trick.

Spud - Definately got minimum one day for shopping for my gear. The problem is i don't speak any japanese! Although i could get somebody to write some basic phrases for me. Also you're not wrong there, with the ladies being indecisive at times. lol.gif haha

Although that shopping list is pretty much set for what i want to buy in Aus. (except for the Board, i think i'll order from the states for the next season)

Mainly concerned about whether or not i will be able to find that kind of equipment with ease, and how does the price compare.

Boots are more or less the same money here, I did the checking last month because my girlfriend bought some new gear. She got the Forum AURA for about 260 AUD, how much do they shell them there? I have seen LEXA from 230 AUD~. I have also seen last years DC boots for about 200 AUD but have no Idea if you can still find sizes. You are really common size for Japan which can be a setback.

I agree with Muddy, but if you can't speak Japanese, have never been to Japan before, let alone Tokyo and have only one day to get your gear then you may be in for a stressful day. If you had 2 or 3 full days and a local to help you out then my opinion would be different.

Jimbocho is awesome though. The exact opposite to Sydney snowboard gear shopping (which would be like London surfboard shopping)

Thanks guys for all those pointers.

Tsondaboy: I haven't come across Forum in Aus as yet, i don't think its popular. Probably more so in the US. If its a basic boot, it would probably sell for about the same.

We're in tokyo for 10 days all up, got to see how we'll fit in shopping and all the sightseeing

But If japanese is essential for getting the right gear then.. thumbsdown.gif

Might see what deals i can strike up here in Aus before head out, since i will be buying old season stock here anyway. Bad thing is - missing out on the 06/07 stuff and some of it is looking good!

i agreed with others, if you dont have time and a local to help you then better buy from Aus. Coz it is off season in aus, you can get a good deal for a completed package (10-20% off) or more for old stocks and if you buy them b4 you travel, you can also claim back the GST at the airport so another bonus. Just bought some helmets at Auski in melb, got 10% off giro nine, and nother 10% gst to claim later..so abt 150 for the helmet..not such a bad deal \:\) .

Hi Waterlily

My girlfriend did some snowboard shopping in Jimbocho. She bought a Solace 142 & a pair of small ride bindings.

It was end of season, so the price was very very cheap.

Like others have said, there are soooo many shops there, it took an entire day to visit them all.