La Grave is a serious mountain for sure. I have skied there many times (my home town is 1/2 hour away) and can assure you that the risks are very small if you stay on the main 2 routes. It is true that of these 2 routes, one is exposed to seracs, but you just do not stop for a pinic there.

There are deaths almost every year at la Grave, but mostly people going off the 2 main routes:

* peeps follows tracks without knowing where they are leading, end-up in a steep icy chute without the proper gear and cannot back-track, loose an edge, slide all the way to the bottom until they hit a cliff-band

* Fall in a crevasse

* Get taken by an avie

* Booze it up and do not wake-up the next morning

Besides skiing, La Grave also attracts mountaineers, ice-climbers, etc... and accidents do happen.

Some of the above can happen to you at other resorts around the world (obviously you will not fall in a crevasse at nozawa, but you can get taken by an avie at Happo or Naeba, fall in a creek at Tsugaike ;\) etc...).

If you can ski a double-black diamond, you can ski the main routes of La Grave. For the other routes, you will need a guide and/or mountaineering skills. I think a few other peeps on this forum may have skied there before as well and can confirm it to you.

So plucky, if you have a chance one of these days, go for it dude!