It's the start on my second season (I hope). Last Dec/Jan spent 3 weeks in Akita boarding. Lovely fresh powder and empty slopes. Can't afford to come to Japan this winter sadglass.gif so thought cheap option might be France??? (I'll drive from UK). Any resort ideas/preferences? Mrs T is a novice boarder(some lessons in Japan last year and enjoyed the nursery slopes at Tazawako)while I progressed to getting down the advanced runs without breaking anything. We don't need rowdy apre-ski, somewhere chilled and cheap. I think I have been spoilt by all that lovely nihon powder and no lift lines, but want to experience the Alps. \:\)

Many thanks for any advice.

Hiya Torihada,

Its been a few years but I went to Andorra and it was about the cheapest option in the Pyrenees. Lots of apres-ski options at good cheap prices. Some good slopes thought not that much for the truely advanced, although watch for the locals disappearing through apparent thick trees because they know the routes through and you can follow them for some off-piste stuff.

Alternatively, I went to DeuxAlpes in the French Alps and it was f**king huge place with just about everything. Even has summer skiing on the glacier (they used to anyway). Stayed in Grenoble (about 60mins away) and being a city, had loads to do for apres.

Anyway just a couple of options. Hope it helps

Quote:
I went to DeuxAlpes in the French Alps and it was f**king huge place
How does that huge place compare with places like Shiga Kogen? (don't laugh!)

L2Alpes is still not really big for French standards. It is only 1 mountain but with 2000m vert.

It has about 150km of slopes that says something. The best things of L2Alpes is the possibility to ski in La Grave.

The terrain of L2Alpes is ok but not great. There are more or less 3 miniresorts connected by a sometimes very flat road. If you are a snowboarder you probably have to walk now and then to get back home.

Worst thing of L2Alpes is the descent into the village. This is either a road or a mogul run. So if you are a novice skier/boarder this isnot much fun.

The apresski is one of the best of France.

Places you want to consider:

- Tignes

- Val Thorens, not Les Menuires

- Le Corbier

- Superdevoluy

- Flaine

- Vars

All resorts mentioned are bigger than L2Alpes and cater better for a mixed ability group.

The first 2 are wellknown and probalby more expensive. I really enjoyed Flaine last time I was there.

The top French resorts all give fantastic skiing/boarding but they are expensive. Tignes is huge, with and enormous area of intermediate slopes, but $$$. The Pyrenees (French and Spanish) are much cheaper than the alps, and I have enjoyed three trips there.

Montgenevre in the Alps was inexpensive, had lots of space and great snow. You can also ski across the border into Italy on the joint lift pass.

Thanks for the info.

Have been looking around and I think Flaine might be right up our street.Cheers for the pointer Sanno. Especially looking forward to the architecture. Have possibly roped in 2 other boarders to split the cost. I think Flaine will be a good bet as its high and we're going for dec 31st. Looked at Tignes eek.gif Prices. So time to buy some snow chains and gird my loins for the 1200 mile round trip. Cheers.

I love love love Tignes. I wish I could go every year there. A perfect season would be twice to Japan and once to Europe.

I'd recomend Les Arcs. (France)

Had one of the best snowboarding holidays of my life there - perfect snow, very empty, and resonably priced.

Can also vouch for Livigno Italy, and Pas De La Casa if you're looking for cheap and cheerful - but still resonable terrain.

serre chevalier is great. and also huge. and it is possible to connect with les deux alps. also the circuit of portes du solei is massive and offers plenty of options. both spat big pow while i was there. and neither were really that busy.