Hi all.

I was over there in Japan for a few years back in the early 90s. I have great memories of my time there and wish I was back over there.

All those endless queues for lifts on the mountains - I hear it's much less crowded now.

I was wondering if any/many of the resorts in Japan had expanded further in the last 10 years - new lifts, new courses, new mountains.

Ah, just thinking about it makes me all natsukashii!

Ciao

Hi sophoMORE

By all accounts much less crowded than it was 10 years ago. In fact, sometimes it's like having your very own reserved ski field on a weekday!

As for new resorts, the newest ones I know of are ARAI and NASPA in Niigata, apart from that there has been little in the way of new places - new lifts maybe but not resorts. You were here just when skiing was at it's peak I think.

You will find that there have been no huge developments over the laat 5-10 years as the market has shrunk. Some places have upgraded a few lifts and added smaller facilities but nothing huge.

Maybe Rod's new resort (see the New Resort thread) will be the first one.

sophoMORE, with the industry shrinking I dont think youre going to see much expansion in the near future. Some might say that investment in new ideas is what is needed, but don't hold your breath!