A core of wood, carbon or other similar material, with plastic or carbon laminates, a plastic bottom, and steel edges. Snowboards are finished off with a coating of glamour, although this isn't applied to skis. I don't know why not.

start with a wood core sandwiched between fiberglass with a polyethelene base and topsheet. Throw in some rubber for dampening (or don't), metal edges, high-tech plastic sidewalls, graphic layer, and laminate sheet and you have yourself most any snowboard. Add a carbon-fiber beam on top of the core, and you have one tough snowboard.

lin, you obviously haven't seen a sodai gomi day in Japan. If someone has thrown out their old skis, they look awful - nobody would think of picking them up. But an old snowboard? The glamour is still on it, and it's a hardhearted person who isn't tempted to take it home.

Actually, seeing the skis lined up in the sports shop always reminds me of sodai gomi day...

Talking of graphic layers, I love those Arbor wooden-look snowboards. Do they actually use wood for that I wonder?

miteyak, if you're bored of a topic, why do you bother to post at all. I am kind of interested in this.

Actually Lin, I was expressing boredom at the return to the ski/snowboard slag sesh.

Now Lin, are you interested in why I bother to post? or maybe why O11 can't see the beauty in skis, or why you can't appreciate snowboarding?

Yes I am little interested in why you post. You seem to have nothing to say.

I can appreciate snowboarding, and intend to try for the 1st time this coming season.

My comment about the snowboarding was accompanied with a wink.gif did you not see that? It was not meant to be so serious an issue, but you seem to take it as that.

It's a shame. It's kinda fun for me to see the interesting relationship between certain hardcore skier and hardcore boarder.

I haven't seen any hardcore boarders on this thread. A juvenile attitude to skiing certainly doesn't make you one. A background with lots of skiing experience would help, for those of you who can't join the dots.

Those of you with your own little online personas can dream on if you like tongue.gif

I guess I should have added more than just a yawn, maybe you'd appreciate my humour, or at least direction. Sorry to get between the musings of two incredibly hardcore winter sports lads, and their sportingly cheeky little arse slappings. (SJG, is 'arse' allowed? apols if it isn't).

We are bitchy today aren't we people? smile.gif

More Yawns - I'm sure you are either a regular poster under a new terribly witty name, or someone who will never post another post on here ever - but you do bring up an interesting point.

What is a hardcore skier or hardcore boarder then?

And how do you get to be one?

And what makes someone who goes out riding 50 days a season NOT one?

Go on tell me, know it all. We await your profound wisdom >>

Heat getting to you, miteyak?

You're not taking my juvenile attitude towards skiing to heart are you? It's just that I've never liked it, or been interested enough to try...sorry.

Anyway, what are skis made of? I'd love to know.

Yes, It sure is... BUT I LIKE MYSELF THIS WAY!

Do you think I'm 'more yawns'? Sorry, wrong tree, but that's not to say I don't concurr.

As for hardcore...

two boarders in a parking lot banging their (helmeted) heads together to the tune of 'yeah, oh yeah, hell yeah...)