I know this is a skiing forum but are there any mountain bikers out there?

I just did my favourite trail outside Matsumoto the other day. Great 1500m downhill with all kinds of terrain: Smooth snaking singletrack, steep switchback, fast fire trails, rollercoaster sections, berms, rock gardens, drop offs, and jumps.

Do any of you bikers live in other areas with decent trails?

yo Matt...

I'm a biker, although not very technically competent...

I don't have much riding selection out here in the plains of chiba...but I've gone to this place near tukuba-san a few times (Mt. Asio)...incredibly steep switch backs, way beyond my ability...but it gets the blood pumpin!

where do you ride??

danz

The Hachibuse yama trail is a killer. The top is at 1850m, the bottom is at 500m and it winds up and down a ridge for about 10km. Thats the longest I know and is a good half day ride but there are quite a few that you could string together in the same area.

Hakuba has a lot of good varied riding too. More than around Matsumoto but not as long

Theres also a good trail above Shimosuwa.

Are you in Nagano-ken Miteyak?

'fraid not. Osaka, but get up to Hakuba valley alot. (know any jobs going in the area?)

Ever ridden the chou alps region. Done a little, looks like a more moderate area for longer rides, but not had time to check it out yet. Thanks for the tips, hope I get a chance to check them out.

yo matt

havent posted on here for ages cause the place is overrun by crap artists. Ive been mountain biking my arse off up here in hokkaido. heaps of trails within an easy ride from central sapporo, come on up and check it out.

I love mountain biking, although I haven't done it for over a year.

(I can't fix it myself and there is always something braking, or the gears get all out of whack, etc. and I'm sick of poor service from the bike shops.)

My own bike is so beat up now, that I think it's probably a lost cause.

Are bikes cheap in Japan ?

(i.e. how much would a bike that costs $1000 in the US cost in Japan ?)

Are there plenty of trails in the Nagano prefecture ?

And as for "crap artists," what do you expect from a bunch of snowless snowboarders and skiers. A junky without his/her fix is generally no fun to be around.

Most summer posters are just dreaming of snow and trying to make the best of a bad situation smile.gif

Yeah

totally agree with you there barok. Youd think people would understand. You cant board, you log onto skijapan and read about stinky cars and j pop, Flip out a bit , call everyone crap artists and cop a hard time. It doesnt seem fair at all.