Off topic (again!), but curious as ever. If I were to be in Japan and have Japanese friends, study the language a few hours a day and generally do my best, how long d'ya reckon for me to get decent at the language - conversation style stuff.

Please don't flame me with "it all depends...", I'm far too sensitive for that smile.gif Just curious

Well, there's a whole list of 'all depends' involved - what that hour a day consists of, whether it really is an hour or not, whether you listen to the radio for relaxation, whether you have an ear for the language, and on and on.

But I'd say that if you're diligent, six months minimum. Although I did once meet a scouser who was holding forth with reasonable competency about poetry within a couple of months.

It took me a very long time, and even after 11 years, my spoken Japanese is pretty patchy.

Getting competent at snowboarding however only takes 3 days at the most.

Scouser + poetry eek.gif

Haha! I'm sure our own scouser will have something to say about that.

As Ocean said, and as you didn't want us to say, it all depends. 6 months is a bit early to be getting decent - more like a year or two I reckon.

I did a Japanese beginner course last year, but it was pretty useless with no-one to practice with - bit of a waste of time, but it showed us what we were in for if we wanted to learn the language. I think you have to be immersed in the language and culture to get anywhere with a foreign language.

Where are you georgia?