Hi , i'm making a trip early december, 5 to 10th weekend to Tokyo,first time.

Any suggestions on the resorts for a day trip (i did read the other thread)that will be open by early december? for snowboarding.

what are the predictions for the season this end of year? what are the costs? thanks!

If it's a daytrip then maybe Tenjindaira in Gunma. It may be a bit early for its famed offpiste runs, but you'll get to experience the boarding in Japan thing all the same. No big weather reports yet, but you've got to have your fingers crossed if you want real snow that early in the season.

A bus package out of Tokyo is probably easiest and cheapest. Maybe a Tokyoite on this forum could help you out. It could be hard to arrange or get the info in a short time without a Japanese speaker.

I went to Niseko Dec 6/7 last year. The Hana side opened on Dec 7 and only the top single chair wasn't moving. Cheap and lotsa snow.

Kagura might be good by then, in Yuzawa. Will cost you to get to Yuzawa, on the Shink (12000 return) - the quickest way - then the lift ticket. I think the bus to the resort is free, takes about 10 minutes.

Good luck

These opening times are 'projected'. The place may be open but without anything much to slide on.

Some years in November there won't be snow anywhere, except fake snow. Last year though, I went to Nozawa in mid-November and there was loads of snow, although the coverage of the base was patchy in places (Nozawa had more snow than anywhere else early in the season, but getting there from Tokyo would be a trek).

So as far as how much snow might be available, it's anybody guess. But starting some snow dances now and investing in a few sacrificial chickens can't do any harm. Then when the time draws near, you can start checking the Resort Watch page every 15 minutes. I found that quite a tonic last year.

Now, you can get to Nozawa from Yuzawa. Just go through the pass (forgot the name) then head down South, it should be easy since there would be very little snow in early December. It took me about 1.5 hrs from Yuzawa a few years ago in April. I sometimes take this path going back to Tokyo when highways are backed up due to accidents.

Would it be smarter to hit the resort on a weekend or weekday then?

weekends=crowds but weekdays possibly some facilities or lifts closed?

vote: saturday/sunday/monday ?

which are the days where you get cuties?

Cuties? When rach is out there. smile.gif

Sunday I find usually less busy than a Saturday, especially in the afternoon, with lots of people turning round to go back to the city. So Sunday and Monday is a good 2 days to go.

Do some resorts close lifts and stuff on weekdays? I can't say I've seen that myself!

Thanx

The only time I've seen facilities closed is at the beginning and end of the season, but not specially midweek.

I'll be out a lot midweek, but I haven't been called 'cute' in a while (I must be hanging out with the wrong grils or summat...)