My friend bought/won a Burton Balance on auction and the board was obviously defective with a dent on the edge as well as a bubble on the base (presumably cuased by the dent). Aside from this huge defect, we noticed the board's serial number as "8888888888." Is this a genuine "factory second board?"

Many Burton boards have their serial numbers erased to prevent Burton from finding out which US wholesalers are unofficially selling them to Japanese retailers. Burton boards sold through the recognized channel of Burton Japan are more expensive than such parallel imports. According to a guy I know who worked at an official Burton Japan dealer, most of the big stores that previously carried parallel imported Burtons (Xebio etc) will all be selling official gear this year. Burton Japan has lowered its prices to try to discourage such imports, but they'll still appear no doubt.

My mate wanted to start his own shop, but says that Burton Japan's basic policy is for no more small dealers. In his case, he worked for an official dealer for over five years so they told him he could start one, but that he would need around 20 million yen up front to do so.

I seem to remember seeing a board with "second" stamped into the P-tex at the tip. Mine has "demo" written there, but still has the serial number. I bought it in Canada.

BTW, the Balance has been discontinued, so you should get a good deal on one if buying anyway. Less than 40,000, and maybe under 30000 for an 8888888 board. It has a thin waist, so not for you guys with big feet.

I cant really comment on the serial number but any secound quality board from burton would structuraly be perfect, however the reason its a secound is because of a cosmetic diffrence ( not production color, top sheet not strait....and so on). It would also be stamped "secound" or "demo" on the base if it doesn't have either of these(or a mark where some tried to erase it)than it is probably not legitimate. It sounds like its inpact damage which was caused by someone/something. Also burton does sell "mars" (i think thats the name) boards to select dealers(usually mnt shops not city) and these boards have some structuraul defects(undrilled inserts, off angle hole pattern)but being that edge damage is the worst thing that could happen to a board i doubt that is the case here......I hope your freind didn't pay much....and if worse came to worse call burton's rider service line...the'll give you the heads up.