We have a "warming bubble thing". Put it under your blankets 30 minutes before you go to bed, turn it on and hot air is blown into it. Go to bed, nice and warm!!! Great thing. I'm sure it's not called "warming bubble thing", but if it were it would be a fitting name.

One difference you may notice between Hokkaido and Nagano is indoor temperature. While I understand that people in Hokkaido take serious measures to keep interiors warm, it's often nearly as cold inside as it is outside in many buildings in Nagano, including homes.

A Canadian told me that although he comes from a place where the temperature can regularly fall to -40, he was never so consistently cold as he's been since coming to Nagano where -20 is unusual. That means you need warm pajamas too, and maybe a nightcap.

Canadian friends don't seem particularly well adjusted to the cold, not up to English standards anyway. Blame it on the austere ways of the Brits.

Cold son, put on another sweater.

No, you can't use the car, the roads are icy/it's raining/sleeting-do you know how much petrol is these days.

On yer bike.