Hello all telemarkers,

I've been skiing tele for 10+ years, but never in Japan before. I'll be in Tokyo on business on and off for the rest of the 2005 season. I'm hoping to get some pointers for where to go, rent and stay. Specifically,

1) I'm thinking of going to Niseko (mostly because I saw a picture of a tele skier on their web site). I'll need to rent my skis. TTips mentions someplace called N.A.S., but I couldn't find any other information about it. What is N.A.S? Do they rent tele gear? Is there a web site? Are there other rental options in Niseko? If not, how about Tokyo or other resorts?

2) I see that there are three different areas at Niseko. Which is the best for ungroomed skiing (does that even exist at resorts in Japan?). Does it matter which one I stay at?

3) Finally. I'd like to avoid the big hotels. Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice, small inn with an english speaker on staff? My wife will be joining me, so price isn't as important as ambiance.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

P.S. TTips also mentions the SOS in Tokyo, but their web site seems to be down. Does it still exist?

Yeah baby! Welcome to Japan and the snow.

Know nothing about Honshu resorts, but there's plenty of places up here in Hokkaido. If you need to rent tele gear in Hokkaido, you might be limited to Niseko, but I'm not sure on that. I'm guessing TTips meant NAC, not NAS. I could be wrong on that too, but I know Niseko Adventure Center rents tele gear, and they have English speaking staff (Japanese and foreign) who tele. There could be other places too.

There are actually five resorts at Niseko, though the main section consists of three. Niseko Hirafu has probably the most telemarkers. You should definitely meet some there, though I've never seen another 'round-eyes' on teles there. If you're coming up, I'd love to try and catch up.

If you scroll back a few pages, you'll find a thread calling for tele skiers to announce themselves (can't remember the actual topic). You could check their profile and see where they live. Maybe someone near Tokyo could answer your questions for more local answers.

Higashi-yama has a lot of good official ungroomed runs.. You might want to try out Miowa (now called..(La Ponte???), the name escapes me but moiwa will get you there. It isn't large (one quad serves the off piste, but the numbers are low, and you can ski tree runs or small bowls and find freshies all day. I only discovered it on my last day in Hokkaido... It also provides some good BC access.

It has a cheap, flexible ticket system too, three hours for 2000 yen, four for 2500 and all day for 3800.

I belive NAC may have some Teles to rent if not I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. They are located in Hirafu.

The last time we were in Hurafu we stayed at a place called Kimamaya. It's a small inn and the owners speak english and are extreamly helpful. There web site is http://www.kimamaya.com

Hope you enjoy your trip to Niseko

Near the Hirafu gondola is a small backcountry store housing a Japanese telemark legend along with Vectorglide bold tele skis for rent. Top class fats and expert advice. (did I mention the legend and his helpers all speak great English).

Miteyak - Shhhh. LaPonte. Hallowed ground. Speak softly please. \:\)

Do you know the name of the BC store with the legend? Never been there.

Lots of nice places to stay up there. The Anupuri Youth Hostel (don't imagine smelly backpacker establishment) is one of my faves. Mostly shared rooms (but not at all dorm style) with some private rooms. Great manager who built the hostel, his skis, and his canoe himself from wood. Not much Eng, but enough - mixed in with a massive dose of hospitality and a healthy love of life.

Woodpeckers Lodge, over at LaPonte (hush now) is a bit more 'basic' but full of character. It's a veritible den of BC riders in many forms.

There's a bunch of cheap places to stay up there.

If you end up at NAC, any of the staff can deal with you (or they'll find someone who can), and quite a few tele. Ask for Ross if you want to make a more solid contact there. He's the owner, a tele skier, and very down to earth.

Sorry. I was only joking. I think keeping things secret is kind of stupid, otherwise how would we find out about the good stuff.

Just joking - I loved it there last time. Very homely feel, no waiting, no people, great powder access, all day freshies, etc. That's changing as more people go over there, but there's plenty more places to go and explore. No probs.

Weiss is similar, but not as steep. Mostly ungroomed, with snow cat access to the top. Hard to plow through all the powder sometimes because you just don't get the speed up. Good for a try.

Powdatele, the guy is the one in all the Niseko posters and also in some unparalled videos (Alaska biglines). The store is a quaint wooden shack on the road up to the gondola at hirafu (extreme right side) on the left just before the left turn that takes you across to the main Hirafu area. Sorry for the descriptions, I'm having a crap name week.

From the description, that's

http://www.toyru.com/

Apparently it's the Ainu word for a narrow road into the mountains. In English, "toil" is also what you do to get up one....

On Honshu, try Charmant Hiuchi in south-west Niigata or Hachimantai in Tohoku for offpiste style resorts popular with telemarkers. Basically no roped-off areas or grooming at either. The former has tele lessons at the weekend and one of the main patrollers rides tele. He lives in NZ and speaks great English.

Rental of telegear here generally seems to be an add-on for tele lessons or guided bc trips. Still, you might be able to cut a deal somewhere. If you've got big feet, boots could be a problem.

Wow. You all are awesome. Thanks for all the great information.

I'm still hoping to go to Niseko, but my work mates don't want to go that far. They say they'll come along if I go somewhere thats not too hard to get to in Nagano.

So a follow-up question, any suggestions for good tele terrain in Nagano? Know of anyplace to rent tele ski's there.

Thanks again.

Tele Mike - I checked out Toyru (the shop mentioned above) on Sunday. Yep, they have tele gear. Full kit will set you back around Y4,500/day. It gets cheaper if you rent for longer. I'm sure NAC also rent gear.

I have to retract my comment about not seeing other 'round-eyes' teleing. I was at Niseko on Sunday (first time there this year) and saw a bunch of Japanese teleing, and 6 foreigners teleing. Great to see!

I'm usually skiing somewhere on the weekends, so if you do decide to come up to Niseko, let me know and I'll come out for a tele.

Tele-Mike, Rapie in echoland, hakuba does tele-rental, although sizes might be limited. Aoki lake resort has a tele rental shop just off from the ski area, it's on the other side of the road, just opposite the resort. Aokiko, part of Sun alpina has a lot of telemarkers, the terrain a bit tame for the most part however.

Happo-one offers lessons, so I guess they should do rentals as well, but should check first.

Tsugaike, again, has lessons, and is popular with telemarkers, a fair few around there. Would be surprised if rentals weren't an option. Again, better call in advance to check.