Yesterday - Satruday - I went up the Karobe Alpine Routhe, near Omachi about 45 minutes north of Matsumoto, up to the Marudo Plateau and Mt. Tateyama. Great little day trip that afforded great views with little physical effort but a bit of effort on the wallet. Round trip ticket was Y8,500. Kind of pricey but well worth it for the views. The leaves are fantastic right now with brilliant yellows, oranges, and reds. They were contrasting well with all of the evergreens. There was a light dusting of snow up there that melted throughout the day. Hiked to the top of Tateyama for some fantastic views of the northern Japanese Alps. There were still a few patches of snow around - looks like if you tried hard you could like turns for 12 consecutive months here. September and October you may be liking less than 10 consecutive turns though. I made it November through July last year - maybe something to shoot for this year though.

captain misery-gtuts here again.

The Kanto Plain is a first class dive, including the coastal areas. In my short experience, the best of Japan is off the Kanto Plain. Unless you think Tokyo is the best of Japan.