• 3 weeks later...

Isn't it a matter of scooping out a load of soil with a digger, building up your walls, and waiting for it to snow? Once you have your snow, there are snowcats with semicircular cutters ('pipe dragrons' or summat) that go up and down trimming and smoothing the edges. Also, people do it with shovels too.

But actually, a bong is easier to make than a pipe, and a lot more effective.

You're on the right track there Ocean. Although I think it is possible without moving soil if you have a huge snow base. It is definitely a lot of work from cutting with the pipe cutter (at least some of which look like 1/4 circle diggers that attach to a Cat) to actually being able to ride it. A lot of packing, shoveling, and measuring.

If a pipe is really built well you will actually get more air off of each wall as you travel down it. I have only hit a pipe like this in Vail and Whistler. Most pipes I have ridden give you your best air off the first wall and then less and less as you travel down the pipe.

Thanks enderzero. As you can tell I don't know much about it.

All the pipes I've seen in Japan have been started by digging a pit, although they obviously get bigger when it snows (there are 3.6 earth movers for every single person in Japan - did you know that?) I read somewhere on here that in at least one place, the pipe is formed out of old cars stacked up.

Actually, that's not true about the number of earth movers in Japan, but it sometimes seems that way. ;\)

Well if the earth mover myth is false, what about the one that says there are more chair lifts in Japan than in any other country?

I get asked why I am moving to Japan all the time. About half the time that I say "to snowboard" I get the response, "You can snowboard in Japan?" Someone actually told me yesterday, "It doesn't snow in Japan!"