Went up to Hunter Mountain on a day trip once last year. The place is a great resort for families and beginners but does not hold much for advanced boarders. The place itself has a very designed feel, i.e. all the slopes are landscaped - too much im my opinion, off piste is strictly fenced and roped off, however the coffee houses actually have windows facing down the slope which is pretty unusual for Japan. The lift system is OK with one main gondola going from the very bottom to to the very top. From its appearance I can only assume that it was a bubble era resort. All in all good for beginners but not for the advanced.

Hi there

I almost never do posts to this forum but often read them. I find them enjoyable and enlightening

but I couldnt overlook the Nasu comments without some (hopefully) helpful input

I last snownboarded there in 1996 (Mt Jeans) and unless there has been some serious volcanos erupting in the area since to make the place more interesting I have to advise anyone contemplating a visit not to waste their yen

The place is as boring as batshit to be honest.

i heard hunter Mtn is a little better than jeans but it would have to be 1000% better to warrant a visit

The terrain at Jeans is as pathetic as the originality with which the resort owners conjured up the name. It has an American theme like Hunter Mtn which is named after an American mountain near New York city. I have been to Hunter MOuntain (the real one) and why anyone would try to emulate that place is beyond me

I am the kind of person who goes for quality over quantity in my snow experience, so if you are a big mac kind of person who can survive (and thrive) on Japan's plentiful supply of junk food resorts, go to Mt Jeans, But if like me you ride less days but in challenging interesting terrain (nice backcountry, good parks, steep pitches) , give the place a wide berth

hope that helps

PS btw if you are a beginner to lower intermediate boarder or skier , disregard all my comments above . to each his own.

Hi all,

Agree that Hunter is not an off-piste paradise, but I do enjoy a day there occasionally. It's so easy to get to from Tokyo, the lifts are very efficient and there's some variety in the runs. For going off piste maybe not, but for a fun and easy day out from Tokyo, it's great. Certainly less stressful than joining the traffic jam to Yuzawa!

• 2 weeks later...