Just called my fav pension in Hakuba for long w/e & they are fully booked. Not a good sign, looks like the slopes are gonna be an ants mound for this upcoming long w/e. Do you have favorite uncrowded places/gems in Japan you go to during such times? Cortina.... others?

Thank for the idea Montoya. Given the crowds, thinking more about going to onsen in Izu instead and then taking some days off mid-week instead of joining the other week-end warriors. I would still be interested in checking Gamera's place out at some stage though.

Still interested about people's suggestions for less crowded places. For example Montoya, I know u like to hit Kagura, Kandatsu among others. Do you have some hidden places u wud recommend?

On my side I hear Cortina could be one of them, maybe Ryuoo another.

nah, I don't have any secret resorts. I don't even have a car. anyway maybe one of the smaller more remote places in Nagano or the Tohoku region might be interesting. others would know much more than me.

Ok, no worries. By the way, would you happen to know what is the name of the pension Gamera runs by any chance? Thx.

Btw, I am based in Tokyo n have a car. So if I hit some slopes mid-week (Kagura or other) nearby can always send u a pm if u interested. My wife does not like to let me go on my own, so looking for partners in crime from time to time.