Good point about the danger of traveling in cars. I'm happy enough to travel by train most of the time. As for the helmets on the snow, I think it should be an individual choice. I choose to wear one because of where and how I ride. If you really like riding in trees I fail to see how wearing a helmet is a bad idea. Can't see how it would limit your field of vision unless it's some weird design.

Picture this senario: Two riders lose control and cartwheel in the trees. One is wearing a helmet and the other isn't. Not very complicated math to work out who has the safety advantage in this dangerous situation. Having one similar experience too many is what got me motivated to buy a skid lid in the first place. I could care less about any teenage weenie who thinks wearing one isn't a "hard out" thing to do.

I cycle thru London every day and I used to be militant anti helmet until I got hit by a car. Next morning I hobbled into a shop and bought a helmet.

This year was my first snowboarding experience (first time on a piste ever) in Northern Japan - snow fell just in time. Brought all my own gear and bought a helmet and wristguards. I had some big tumbles, and the size of the craters left on the slope by my head showed me the sense in the helmet. Hit my head so hard once all I could see were stars.

I was at Tazawako and Senhata (Akita pref.). I saw one or maybe two other boarder's wearing helmets in three weeks - but more skiers were wearing them. My brother-in-law, a boarder said, before we came out to Japan, that if we wore helmets he wouldn't board with us. In the end he did, but it showed what his attitude to helmets were. In the end I don't care if I look like a meekon (in fact I think my matt-black helmet looked cool - and it kept me mimi/atama perfectly warm), as I'm too busy crapping myself trying to get down the intermediate run. \:D

I cant say how many times my helmut has svaed my dumbass from a good tree or rock bonk. helmuts protect you from minor to major bonks. those bonks can be bad when in the bc or where people seldom go. also in the park a back slap is a danderous.

I'd have to say, after hearing your testimonies, you guys are F-ing careless with your heads, and it's a damn good job you wear your helmets... ;\)

me - 250+ skiing/snowboarding days, two bicycle accidents, two motorcycle accidents, commute every day to work by bike, and the only time I've knocked myself out was running in a school playground... which supports the stats that pedestrians are more at risk from head injuries than all other aforementioned 'high risk' activities (excluding tree runs and park sliding, I have no data on these, and to be honest, a helmet sounds like a good idea if it's going to be treated like a piniata(sp)).

To all you headbangers out there, how many of you banged you head severly prior to getting a helmet? There is a school of thought, statistically supported, that believes helmets increase one's propensity to headbanging due to less care/attention, a greater feeling of invincibility, along with sensory deprivation (esp. if the helmet covers your ears, your control central for balance). The number of helmet wearers who seem to bang their heads on a near daily basis seems to add weight to that argument... I might get one just to see if I start banging my head \:\)

A note of caution: if you do bang your head, w/ or w/o helmet, you shouldn't ride ffor three weeks. Two blows in the same place within that timeframe can lead to brain damage or death, something to consider if you're constantly using your noggin for splitting wood or quarrying.

PS - torihada, did you bang your head in the accident? From your apparent injuries, it sounds like knee pads might have been a more logical purchase...

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
me - two bicycle accidents, two motorcycle accidents, commute every day to work by bike ... PS - torihada, did you bang your head in the accident? From your apparent injuries, it sounds like knee pads might have been a more logical purchase...
... Stunt-Man?? And you STILL don't wear a brain-bucket???? eek.gif

I think Torihada should've tried skiing rather than Boardin' ;\) lol.gif