Did the leather telemarking boots get waterlogged? I have snowboard boots with leather uppers and have to pour half a bottle of oil on them everytime before I go, to stop them rotting. (God I can't wait to get some modern boots...)

Ocean11, see if you can get Sno-Seal.

It is a beeswax based water proofer for leather.

I have used it on GP's (army boots) that I hiked across Scottish moors in, Ski Gloves (that first season leaked like sieves), my Sorel boots.

If you have problems, send me an email and I'll see what I can do for you.

Same thing hikers did/do. Good layer of nikwax or similar. Works a treat, but meant to re-apply after every trip.

As for leather, rollocks to it. The new plastics out there now, coupled with gortex et al. have pretty much made the agony of leather a thing of the past.

For the ludites out there (and long-footed unfortunates) Go forth and suffer!

Yeah - Sno-seal and the Nikwax are both good. They usually don't get wet with that on there. Another thing that helped were gaiters and then super gaiters which esentially covered the whole boot. Still have the leather tele boots but haven't used them in a while - all plastic now. Sure helps you drive the fat skis though.

Telemarking kicks ####! ooops there I go cussing again. Seriously though I think the good people at SJG have a point with the swearing, and I'm happy you and Deebee were able to come to an amicable agreement there. I tend to swear excessively a lot of the time, it certainly has its time and place. I have also used a few rude words on here, albeit sparingly and seem to have escaped the censors brush. It's better to find a more creative way of expressing yourself I think.

Back to the telemarking-hats of to anyone who does it- looks hard as hell and it must require a lot of technical skill. I often went boarding with a telemarking mate last season in deep powder & was always amazed that he could cane it so skillfully.

To hell with skill in powder! Just put me on a big plank, push me off, and watch me float on down...

There was that pic of the guy telemarking through powder on some fictional 'Australian' mountain, and he looked very ... busy.