danz - I have to go seijo - shinjuku - tokyo - mountains. I was hoping to cut out the change in tokyo and the ride from shinjuku to tokyo.

I am probably being lazy, but the less train changing the better at that time of the morning.

Ocean, yes, I think there are such trains direct from Shinjuku.

Wouldn't the trains from Tokyo/Ueno also leave you an equally fair distance from the resorts? (besides teh GALA resort with the dedicated shin.)

No I don't think so. Anywhere is nearer to the station in Yuzawa than say Hakuba or Nozawa from Nagano, or Norikura from Matsumoto. Also the train to Nagano takes over two hours I believe.

How do you Tokyo people generally get to Nagano? Someone must know...

Shinjuku - Tokyo via Chuo Kaisoku ~12min.

Close: Fujimi Panorama, Sugadaira, Kurumayama

Far: Happo/Shiga area via Matsumoto

Why don't you take an overnite ski bus from Shinjuku directly to the resorts?

deebee if you are living out that way you are kind'a close to me. I am in Nerima and I plan on doing some trips by car to Niigata given that it is only about 1.5hrs from where I am.

I have a van with enough room for you and whomever so you are welcome to hitch a ride(I am cheap so we split gas and tolls) if the schedules meet.

Yeah it's called the Kanetsu at 7am! If you go then when everyone else has already gone there are no traffic jams. Usually. \:D Don't trust dump days though.

Coming home is the prob.

Quote:
Originally posted by IM:
Why don't you take an overnite ski bus from Shinjuku directly to the resorts?
HAPPY DAYS!!! I didnt know that it existed. Sounds pretty good in terms of avoiding the very early saturday morning drama of getting the early train (no doubt with the Tokyo crowds and all our ski gear).

Costs may include some 300,000 yen in fines for some serious speeding.

It takes us nearly two hours by van to get to Nozawa (within the same prefecture) from Suwa. It takes more time to get to Niigata. We leave before dawn creeps over yonder hill, and sometimes commit minor civil offenses on the way (speeding). The highway ramp is not at all far from where we meet up.

mogski, have you actually tried this yet?

Well I'll be damned!

The way this country is linked up confuses me badly sometimes. Some places seem a long way away as the sheep flies, but because they're linked up better, you can get there much faster. Kindly forgive my ignorance.

Maybe it makes sense to move to Tokyo to get nearer to the resorts \:\( .

Have you bought snow tyres yet? ;\)

Totally hear you on that linked up stuff! Crazy country!

If you are prepared to donate to the "MSTF(Mogski Snow Tyre Fund)" then I will get them, but if not I am afraid that finances dictate chains. \:D