hmmm....

If you are talking pure vertical, nothing beats france...you can ski like 9000vtfeet there!!!!

In general mtns here do not have anywhere near as much vert!

Skiing in france (and most of europe) is done mainly above treeline...that is another big difference...most resorts are below tree line

snow quality is probably better,more consistent, and more quantity in japan...

my guess is europe/france is better equipped for backcountry skiers (inter-mountain connectivity,etc...), although I have 0 experience in that area both here or europe...

that's what I can think of now....

where in france to you teach??? I've been to the chamonix area...beautiful and fantastic skiing...valle blanche is breathtaking!

oh yah, apres skiing!!!! that's french, right??

they don't speak french in japan for sure...my best apres skiing experiences were definetly in france! you guys do it right!

danz

I must be under some "love Japan" spell, Ocean, because I actually like the Japanese curry rice. Granted it's nothing like what real curry rice should taste like.

Luckily, your reference to the product of sick dogs did not turn my stomach this time like when you invited poor nulla to suck your .... Yuck!

Actually, under normal circumstances, I don't mind curry rice either, but it does tend to give you poisonous burps in the afternoon due to the strenuous nature of the activity.

But I expect there are things in France that would more than adequately do that...

I remember that everytime a group of us from Hong Kong get to Hokkaido, we go crazy over their fresh milk...not a common commodity here. As a result, others would be advised to keep their distance because of the poisonous burps we emit from the other end!

went to charmonix last year, boarded at les grand montes, les houches, le brevent, le tour, etc......

BUT easily prefer boarding in japan, infrastructure is light years ahead here ( and we get more consistent snow ). However, charmonix night life kicks ass!!! drum'n' bass, deep house, breaks, all there!!!

Have only been to Chamonix in the summer-hiked all around and the terrain looks awesome. A friend I stayed with had skied down from the top of the Eigle de mille sp???? which I believe is over 3500m-serious vertical. I suppose you could hike at places like Hakuba for something similar but it isn't as steep or high. Lacks the lift or heliski access it could/should have.

Anyway can't wait to go back-I'm sure the nightlfe is great.