There seems to be no mistaking the growing popularity of telemarking. This year, the numbers of newbies seem to have sky-rocketed. Nov 4th saw a higher (actual) percentage at Hak 47, this weekend at Happo there must have been twenty-thirty, many obviously beginning.

As opposed to mini skis - on the way out i'd say. \:D

Because it's the real thing! \:D

No, really, most of the newbies I saw seemed to be coming over from the ski camp. I guess increased exposure/interest in BC and touring, coupled with the alternative in the ski world (newschool, boarders on skis) has added to the renaissance.

From all accounts, telemarking is big and still growing in the states, so why not here. With modern gear, telemaking rocks. Glide like a boarder, slide like a skier. Versatile, stylish, whatever.

If you wanna understand it, try it.

Death throws Ocean11? Now what have boarders got to be insecure about?

Cal, it's easier on the knees, bit more of a challenge than skiing (maybe) and everyone (used to) says stuff like, "son, now that's REAL skiing"

Once you have made your first good tele turn it becomes self-evident why people telemark. It feels magical.

And once you've linked tele turns in powder.....

In my experience, most telemarkers love powder - and the main motivator to go into the BC is to find freshies.

So once everyone's legs have warmed up, all the tele'ers will disappear from the resorts - and be out playing in the woods.

Unless you've tried it, it's hard to explain why anyone would want to ski without their heel clamped down - but once you've tried it, it becomes addictive.

Free your heel, free your mind - try it.

I saw some skiers at 47 who had decided to 'free one leg'. There they were, making their way down the slopes on one ski, their free leg flapping about all over the place.

It seems skiers are desperate to bring some novelty and enjoyment to their pursuit, and the fad for telemarking is just part of that.

Jealousy jealousy, just admit it Ocean, you were struggling along a flat spot with yer legs in self-imposed straight boards when a skier flew passed with a free leg flapping in the air...

Couldn't take it could ya, so you had to ridicule...

I"d love to be cliche and say 'free your heel, free your mind' but i'm afraid the boarding fraternity'll 'ave ta free their blimmin feet first!

Skiing on one ski is an exercise to make you better at skiing all round not a new style. I do it sometimes (even though I fell like a dick when I am) as it forces me to abandon some bad habits and makes me ski way better from then on.

I use the Force to get over the flat bits. That usually surprises the skiers as I leave them far behind, babbling in their strange and comical space language.

jared, I know that there are all sorts of exercises skiers use to improve their form - it's just that to me, they all look a bit w-a-n-k-y. Shikataganai desho?

Argueing in a forum is like being in the special Olympics, even if you win - your still a retard. So I try and avoid it, esp some sort of skiing vs snowboard debate as there is no answer. That said im always keen to debate this: who would win a fight between a Lion and a Bear. my money is on the Lion.

Christ jared, we're not that thick skinned! And we're totally PC too - you can't go making fun of these poor limbless athletes who try so hard!

Now what I'd like to see is a good snarling, hair-pulling, ski-pole swinging fight between fixed heel and free heel skiers. Anyone? miteyak?

Sounds like a fair fight, at least neither party has their feet tied together, both can get a good roundhouse in...

As for you, jared... SHAME!

(reckon you with yer new school tosh gonna end up in the paralympics anyhows, so bit yer tongue...)

lol - Hey I got a serious question for you guys. What do you think is the largest animal that you could kill with you bare hands? I am serious. None of this I could poke an elphants eyes out and it would bleed to death shit. The elephant would f-ck you up.

Bare nuckle fight, no shoes, just your hands, feet, and wits.

Maybe a lamb? How bout a cow?

thoughts?

Reckon you could maybe break a goat's neck if you gave it a damn good twist, and took the thing by surprise. Big 'ol moo cow? Fat chance!

Reminds me of a film from the 50s I heard about. A fairground had a '100 bucks to fight the monkey' stall. You had to spend 5 minutes in a cage with an averagely sized chimp who was trained to hassle people. If you begged to be let out, you didn't get the money. Some matey decides he's gonna show the chimp who's boss at first meeting and kicks it has hard as he can on it's rosy pink bottom. Mayhem! The chimp is all over him! Tears his clothes right off scratches him bites him punches him twists his arms and legs half off! Matey is nearly dead by the time they beat ol big ears off with sticks and get him out of the cage. He didn't get the 100 bucks.

So I don't want to go up against no monkeys. No thank you.