You can do Haneda to Sapporo in 235 min for 27, 260 yen by plane, or Tokyo to Sapporo in 692 min for 22,480 yen by train. I don't know how valuable your time is to you, but I'd recommend splurging that extra 5,000 yen to fly...

Anybody interested in travelling anywhere should have this URL in their bookmarks;

http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/

It's got plane and train routes in English with times and prices.

Assuming your coming from oz and you dont want to go to Tokyo you should have got your flight to Sapporo when you got your flight to japan, when I came last time the travel agent found the cheapest way to get me from NZ to Sapporo was via Osaka rather than Tokyo.

Andrew, yes I am in japan as my profile will tell you!

7300 Yen semms pretty standard for accom, Brekkie and dinner. You wont get much cheaper unless you cook your own food and stay at a place like snowbeds etc.

Andrew, one thing more.

The only good reason to travel by train from Tokyo to Sapporo is already having a Japan Rail Pass. For example, you're travelling for work from Tokyo to Osaka (and back) and your company pays for transportation. A single trip on the Shinkansen is 13.750 yen, If I remember right. More than 27.000 yen for the whole trip.

For that price, you can buy a pass (7 days: 28.300 yen, 14 days: 45.100 yen), do the 3 hours trip from Tokyo to Shin Osaka (and back) and with the same pass travel "for free" wherever you want.

Other than that, the trip is a pain in the ass (I've done that a couple of times). Like Ocean said, it's more than 11 hours. The shinkansen stops in Morioka. There, you have to take the Morioka-Hakodate train, where reserved seats are usually booked way in advance (and you're travelling with a backpack and a board/skis bag). Then it's Hakodate-Sapporo... Not very funny.

And anyway, when you arrive in Sapporo it's usually too late to go to any resort and you have to wait for the next day.

If you don't wanna fork out the cash for the plane tickets and you're in Japan for work, it's ok. Other than that, skip it.

End of rant.