you guys are so kind. no wonder there is not much articles on karuizawa. time is running out. i'm going to tokyo on jan 18, and tend to go sking the next day in nagano. in this case, which is a good place to go, with easy access by train. pls help.

I would sooner die than go skiing at Karuizawa! It's a small hill..YES HILL.. run by Prince Hotels. Great place to live as it's kind of a Tokyo retreat area. It's actually a cool area. But for skiing????? That's not what it's made for. Even mid-Jan will probabaly be just the snow machines running with fake snow. It does get snow but the temperature tends to make it all melt away. Try Naeba! Very close and it's pretty cool.

I'm just guessing, but a possible reason why Karuizawa was considered, given that Cherie is supposedly from Hong Kong, is that it is one of the resorts (together with Niseko, Rusutsu and Sahoro) advertised by Cathay Pacific in their ski packages.

Karuizawa is a great place for elderly people or those with a heart condition. Carving your way full speed down that course at a full 15 km/hr, the great thrill will be just right for those with weak hearts.

I've not been myself but I have a Japanese friend who has - he went because they open very early with snow machines. He said the Japanese equivelant of "it sucked".

eek.gif