What are you experiences in Japan? Because we are getting a new car I decided to get a higher level of coverage called sharyou hoken (which covers damages to our car as well as others regardless of who is at fault). I'm not sure what it was called before but our car was only covered if the other driver was deemed at fault.

Now, our old insurance was 4800¥ /month and the new insurance is 12000¥ /month. Considering I'm not in the accident prone age demographic and have 10 years experience (in Japan) without any accident or tickets and a gold license I feel like that price is a little ridiculous.

Does 12000¥ /month seem high to anyone else?

Third Party and Comprehensive.

The comprehensive premium is their estimate of the cost to the insurance company if you totalled your car and they have to replace it. And you have excess on top. The comprehensive premium is directly linked to the price of your car. Good luck.

What is your insurance company? Mine sends me a pretty complete breakdown of what they cover and what they don't, with more- and less-expensive options as well.

But it does sound like you are paying a lot to cover your own car. If you can afford to self-insure (eat the loss), you will of course come out ahead on average by not insuring your own car, and just insuring for liability to others, plus medical for passengers. Big if, I know.

Until recently my wife has been in charge of this. Of course, now that I see the kind of bill we'll be getting each month I'm interested to find out more. Unfortunately, she often takes the easy way of just listening to whatever the rep is saying (especially when it comes to my money!!) I'll have to do a bit more research about what this coverage includes.

We just drive s/h cars so we normally don't bother with sharyou hoken. However, we've got it at the moment because we switched cars in December and started driving the new one on winter roads without being used to it. It wasn't much extra for the sharyou hoken, but our car was only valued at 1.2 million yen.

Shop around I guess. It sounds a lot for someone with a big no claims and gold licence.

Our Insurance started out at 15,000 a month, for full cover and no excess. I though at the time it was a bit much, then two months after buying the car a scooter crashed into me. Fixed at no cost to us (other than the insurance premiums of course). Now that the car is over two years old the premium has dropped a bit. Not sure how much as my wife handles all the money stuff, including earning it.

Those are insane prices guys...I've bought two new cars here in Japan and even with collision it wasn't anywhere near that. One of the cars was a camper van (8 number) which have higher insurance premiums but still wasn't close to 12,000 a month.. My wife's a bloodhound for saving a buck and she definitely had to shop around and juggle coverage plans....but I was always fully or maybe partially covered with collision and always fully for 3rd party liability. Collision for me is kind of akin to getting extended warranties where it depends on the make and model of the car and how handy you are wrenching yourself.