Hi All

My family and I are planning to drive from Kyoto to Hakuba during the first week of March. Will we need 4 wheel drive vehicles or snow chains? I've never driven in winter and have no clue what the conditions are like.

Many thanks.

I can't comment about the drive from Kyoto to Hakuba but in Hakuba in the first week of March you should have snow chains or better still snow tires. Sometimes the roads are clear in March but its best to be safe than sorry.

Ya..Griz......but, the roads are usually clear until just after Omachi (the last 20kms to Hakuba) and Hakuba doesn't really have much in the way of hills so snow tires only is fine. Or how about something like this......... drive to Matsumoto, leave the car there and catch the train in to Hakuba and use the public transit in town. Then you don't have to worry about snow tires or chains at all. I imagine you'll be wanting to go up to Nagoya and get on the Chuo expressway which leads into the Nagano expressway which will take you Matsumoto and Hakuba....not sure though if that's the best route from Kansai.

But DiGriz is right....If you've never been on snow you may want to consider public transport or my suggestion to leave the car in "non" snow country.

Ya..Griz......but, the roads are usually clear until just after Omachi (the last 20kms to Hakuba) and Hakuba doesn't really have much in the way of hills so snow tires only is fine. Or how about something like this......... drive to Matsumoto, leave the car there and catch the train in to Hakuba and use the public transit in town. Then you don't have to worry about snow tires or chains at all. I imagine you'll be wanting to go up to Nagoya and get on the Chuo expressway which leads into the Nagano expressway which will take you Matsumoto and Hakuba.

But DiGriz is right....If you've never been on snow you may want to consider public transport or my suggestion to leave the car in "non" snow country.

Yes, we are planning on taking the Chuo expressway > Nagano expressway > Hakuba.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's a shame to leave the car in Matsumoto or Nagano. Would be nice to have a car to drive to the restaurants, even if it means driving very very slowly and carefully.

I did this drive a few times last season. I have snow tyres but no chains, also my car is a pajero junior(mini) so its selective 4wd only. I did the drive in December, January, February and March and the only time i used 4WD was in Jan and Feb. The highway is pretty staight forward and you should be fine with snow tyres. The drive north from Hakuba to the Hokuriku highway can be a bit sketchy. I took this route twice because of the chou highway being closed in Jan. The most direct route is the chou from Nagoya. If you are renting a car you can request snow tyres for a small additional fee.

I did this drive a few times last season. I have snow tyres but no chains, also my car is a pajero junior(mini) so its selective 4wd only. I did the drive in December, January, February and March and the only time i used 4WD was in Jan and Feb. The highway is pretty staight forward and you should be fine with snow tyres. The drive north from Hakuba to the Hokuriku highway can be a bit sketchy. I took this route twice because of the chou highway being closed in Jan. The most direct route is the chou from Nagoya. If you are renting a car you can request snow tyres for a small additional fee.

Ok thanks for the info. Nissan does provide 4WD and Snow Tires options, so hopefully it'll be ok.

Last season was a bit weird with lots of weather arriving from the south but thankfully being cold and bringing snow with it.

Normally you don't get as much snow where the highways are and they don't close as often as they did last winter.

We had two sets of friends have to stay an extra day on different occasions due to the highways closing.

Try and rent an AWD, ie Subaru, with snow tyres and chains in the boot just in case, you should be fine. Anything the car can't handle isn't somewhere you want to drive anyway.

Last season was a bit weird with lots of weather arriving from the south but thankfully being cold and bringing snow with it.

Normally you don't get as much snow where the highways are and they don't close as often as they did last winter.

We had two sets of friends have to stay an extra day on different occasions due to the highways closing.

Yes, I got stuck in a couple of those. It didn't help that the tunnel at Otsuki was shut down for so long either. Lowyatter.....If you do insist on driving and this is your first snow experience be extra cautious coming down the grade into Hakuba. Gear down and lightly ride the brakes all the way down and leave lots of room between you and the car in front of you. There aren't many other hills in town so you should be fine.

Also be wary of the turnoff at Azumino off the Nagano expressway. That area doesn't get much snow but it sure can get really icy especially in the early morning.... If you need chains over snow tires....you are somewhere where you shouldn't be driving..!!

Yes, I got stuck in a couple of those. It didn't help that the tunnel at Otsuki was shut down for so long either. Lowyatter.....If you do insist on driving and this is your first snow experience be extra cautious coming down the grade into Hakuba. Gear down and lightly ride the brakes all the way down and leave lots of room between you and the car in front of you. There aren't many other hills in town so you should be fine.

Also be wary of the turnoff at Azumino off the Nagano expressway. That area doesn't get much snow but it sure can get really icy especially in the early morning.... If you need chains over snow tires....you are somewhere where you shouldn't be driving..!!

Alright, will be super duper extra careful with regards to braking and speed.

Thanks all for the advice, really appreciated.