Following on from last weekend's jaunt to Tomamu, me and the missus decided to take a day trip on an old school steam locomotive to Niseko. It took about 3-4 hours to make the scenic trip from central Sapporo to Niseko station. It was the first time I've rode on an old style train and although trains aren't usually my thing, I have to admit that I was excited about riding on what (in my child like brain) I consider to be a REAL train!!

gallery_6323_322_95768.jpg

The smell of the smoke, the shrill of the whistle and the smiling faces of the countless people who were standing along the route to wave us by made the journey very enjoyable. The cars are old school as well and aren't the most comfortable, but they are quaint and nostalgic for a slower paced time of yesteryear. They had a coal burning stove in each car, it wasn't on, and I'm not entirely sure if its just for show or if it still works. The train also had a cafe car, which again was cool to go chill out in and have a coffee or a beer.

The views on offer on the journey were pretty spectacular as it chugged its way out of the city, along the coast then inland through the mountains. The trees were a magnificent mix of green, yellows, oranges and reds......of course my camera work doesn't really show it so well, but they were nice.

gallery_6323_322_91175.jpg

gallery_6323_322_20072.jpg

gallery_6323_322_99456.jpg

If you are around in Autumn, then this is a very nice day trip to take. Its not expensive, 5600¥ return ticket that includes onsen and buffet lunch at the Niseko Hilton in the Niseko Village/Higashiyama area of Niseko. The train will only run until November 4th, which is a shame because I bet it would be a beautiful journey in winter. Yotei's top was swaddled in clouds so I didn't bother getting a shot, but you could see white snowy fingers descending down from under the cloud layer almost as if it's snow that erupts from Yotei instead of lava.

Also, on Saturday it was beautiful here in Sapporo so I got out on my bike and headed off towards Teine with the coast at Zenibako my ultimate destination, it's about a 36-37km round trip, I snapped a few shots of the autumn colours around Sapporo....

gallery_6323_22_63909.jpg

gallery_6323_22_266152.jpg

gallery_6323_22_190819.jpg

gallery_6323_22_61216.jpg

gallery_6323_22_70616.jpg

and finally got back to Maruyama Koen where I treated myself to a post cycle beer and relaxed in the forest.

gallery_6323_22_376696.jpg

I didn't realise that song was Exile.

Before there were 45,453 members it seems.

Bloody good dancing though hey.

And a serious song title, that's what I like in my artistes.

Ah but did it?!

I misses this down here.

Thanks for that Tubby. Looks lovely.

Oops! I totally read that as..."did YOU go Choo Choo"!!

Yes it did on many occasions....it was cool