To be honest, I don't remember the details. We signed up for all the insurance that was suggested, which was regular homeowner's insurance, plus earthquake insurance. I highly recommend getting at least these. If you are in an area susceptible to mudslides or floods, you may want to look into those insurances as well.

We also got a home security system installed. Don't know if you have considered that?

We already got our insurance sorted, which protects against all natural disasters as well as accidental damage, although for us the main emphasis is on earthquakes and fire with our insurance, as it is impossible for a landslide to effect us and flooding is also highly unlikely.

My wife sorted all that out so I don't know the specifics.

But it is with the one insurance company that insured the houses in Touhoku, which actually gives full value of the house cover and that is the only insurance company in Japan that gives full cover, so my wife said, we have gone for that,

Others only give back a percentage of the value of the house which varies according to company.

Of course I hope we never have to use it, but better to get as much protection as possible.