So OzBum

What degree of accent can you use splits too? I have never done either but wouldn't it be easier walking up a steep in shoes than traversing around on flats as you would have to take a different route

You have to attack the approach in a different way. With shoes its a direct line to where you want to go, with a split its a series of zig zags if the terrain is steep enough.

Shiribetsu south face for instance is basically a ridge line the whole way, you need to travel in a direct line but many sections are too

steep to do so on a split

If your split is a rocker board the angle you can skin before slipping is even less.

So OzBum

What degree of accent can you use splits too? I have never done either but wouldn't it be easier walking up a steep in shoes than traversing around on flats as you would have to take a different route

yes and no. the route might be shorter but is it easier if you're spending more energy carrying a board on your back all day and using more energy climbing steeper terrain punching holes in powder compared to no weight on your back and gliding along the top of skin tracks on more mellow terrain for a longer route?

its personal preference i guess and comes down to what you're actually going to ride. short hikes snow shoes would be absolutely fine, theyre cheap and do the job.

for me, my riding is moving more towards ski touring and multiday trips so im actually wishing i could ski but a splitboard is the next best thing with snowshoes not an option at all.

We went along the ridge from the resort at rusutsu. Lots of steep sections where the splits were difficult to negotiate. We all ended up bootpacking in the end with our boards on our backs. I was dreaming of snowshoes that day.

Im not trying pick a fight lol. Just giving my honest opinion. Shoes arent that bad for what the op wants to do.

i agree with you, shoes are fine for op i think, but he should consider a split as it would give him more options later on too.

ACTUALLY, :evilgrin: This is something we can all make ( snowshoes) and Japanese living in the snowcountry used to make them, Hell of a lot easier than making snowboards by stripplanking

Ended up biting the bullet and got the ascents with tails.

I had forgotten what they meant when they said you have to earn your turns - ouch - that hurt a little :friend:

Only a few more things.

Will look into a split next year. Thanks to all for the info - appreciate it

Not yet - it was parting with the money that hurt at this point. :lol: but looking forward to

putting them to work.

Just ordered today - under way from Melbourne. Should be here next week

Oh hahaha!

You bought the right shoes anyway, You should come to splitfest and try out splitting.

To be honest I haven't been to the Aussie snow fields for years but am keen to try out gear.

I'II look into it (again tbh first I've heard of it) or do you have some details/ link. Sounds like fun

and just the motivation to get me off my ass and down to the Aussie snowfields .

Dont ask me to link anything lol.

Just search the webz for splitfest downunder. Its just an awesome get together with give aways on the friday night and then splitboarding sat/sun and most of us camp at island bend and have a big bon fire etc. Great times and great way to meet people.