Just finalising my order at Backcountry and the only thing Im stuck on is snowshoes. In an ideal world I'd have a split board that isnt happening this winter. Anyone have a view on which way to head with this? Been looking at Atlas Aspects but at 28" (71cm) they are quite long and Im worried they will hang too far off my pack or am I worrying about nothing once again? Thanks.

I started with snowshoes in Australia and quickly gave up on them as a split is a much better tool for that terrain. Coming to japan I brought a split and left the snow shoes at home, big mistake. The terrain I have ridden so far lends itself much better to snowshoes than it does a split.

FWIW my snowshoes are MSR lightening ascent 25" with 5" floatation tails that can be added when needed. That saves 5" of space in your pack.

Nonononono, don't do it!!!!

When you do buy a splitboard, your snowshoes will gather dust at the back of cupboard.

Skinning is so much more efficient than "slo-shoeing", I've been out heaps of times with snowshoers and they are always huffing and puffing at the back of the pack whilst the skiers/splitboarders are setting the pace out front. As a former snowshoer, I have seen the light and will NEVER go back.

I respectfully disagree with gozaimaas, splitboards have great float when skinning in pow and you don't have the weight on your back and the board whacking trees or getting yourself blown over on windy ridge lines.

The only time I could see snowshoes offering an advantage is when you are doing lots of short steep laps (e.g. Lapping A booter) even then you're probably better off sucking it up and laying in a bootpack first time up.

Method I have no doubt a plit board is a lot better option but just not on the cards this year as Im pumping $ into a beacon etc etc. Thanks Gozimaas will look into those.

I guess the other alternative is to hire them as required.

Nonononono, don't do it!!!!

When you do buy a splitboard, your snowshoes will gather dust at the back of cupboard.

Skinning is so much more efficient than "slo-shoeing", I've been out heaps of times with snowshoers and they are always huffing and puffing at the back of the pack whilst the skiers/splitboarders are setting the pace out front. As a former snowshoer, I have seen the light and will NEVER go back.

I respectfully disagree with gozaimaas, splitboards have great float when skinning in pow and you don't have the weight on your back and the board whacking trees or getting yourself blown over on windy ridge lines.

The only time I could see snowshoes offering an advantage is when you are doing lots of short steep laps (e.g. Lapping A booter) even then you're probably better off sucking it up and laying in a bootpack first time up.

Terrain, terrain. Myself and 2 other highly experienced splitters basically carried out splits on our back all the way to the top of shiribetsu. A slow labourous post holing boot pack where I was thigh deep much of the way. I would have killed for my snowshoes that are sitting at home in Australia. When it gets steep the skins just dont grip enough, we would have saved hours on shoes compared to the splits. I recommend getting some rope and towing your board behind you which takes the weight off your back.

A split is not THE ANSWER, its just a tool in your toolbox sitting next to your snowshoes, choose the tool that suits the job at hand.

• Like 1

Panhead Pete,

Fair enough, it starts g etting $$$ when you buy beacons etc, you can always hire them from rhythm or somewhere similar .

Gozaimaas,

I guess we will have to agree to disagree! I did shiribetsudake 2 days last week on my split and I did it last year on snowshoes, I know which one I prefer!

Thanks guys. In the end despite my initial intent to buy some I bought everything but the shoes. New plan is to rent when required and also rent a split board for at least a day to trial that. Interesting to read that the split is not the answer to all conditions so may ultimately end up with both. Thanks for the hint re the rope too, was going to carry a short length for emergencies and will give the tow a go too.