Just get the biggest one you can because when you need to move a lot of snow you dont want to be using a tea spoon. Telescopic handle is a must that can seperate from the shovel head. Mine also has a saw in the handle end which could come in very handy.

Cheers. Just about pulled my BC order together for Backcountry, appreciate everyone's help. Just got paralysis through over analysis re snowhoes. Lookinfg at some Atlas but at 71cm long they are pretty big.

A splittie would be great but not this year :(

TB Will be in Myoko for at least 8 days from Feb 8 then at this stage headed to Hakuba for 5 nights after that but hoping to hit a lot of small resorts in the Nagano region but all dependent on Pow. Hopefully we can all catch up for a beer again but this year I hope to avoid 902 :)

Sorry if I didn't reply before you put your order in already.

Here is a study that put various shovels to the test and found that most performed rather poorly: http://www.avalanche...ovel+review.pdf

The Voile shovels and the G3 AviTECH D-Grip did best.

If you get the Voile Telepro, be sure to get the T6 tempered aluminium version (orange colour) as it is stronger. The yellow version is a bit cheaper but is also weaker.

Another thing to consider is that the Voile Telepro can be difficult to pack because of its length. The handle can be broken down into 3 pieces to make it shorter but then you will have an extra pole to pack and it will be harder to assemble in an emergency.

I own the G3 AviTECH D-Grip and the Voile XLM. Both are made with T6 tempered aluminium so they are strong. The G3 AviTECH is larger and easier to dig with but is more expensive. The Voile XLM is super light but a little more awkward to use as it is shorter and has a T-bar handle.

The AviTECH D-grip handle is smaller and less comfortable than the Voile Telepro.

Another option is the Voile Mini Telepro which has the same handle and T6 aluminium but is shorter with a smaller shovel blade.

Hope that helps.