I will keep this report brief and with minimal superlatives’ as everyone knows about Hokkaido’s Powder Snow, Hirafu & Hanazono!

Well we have been back in Oz for 5 days or so since our 2013 Jan trip to Hokkaido, Niseko. Today, I thought I better go to the gym

to gently stretch out the muscles and start training (keen) for the next trip. My muscles enjoyed the stretch and held up surprisingly

well to all the boarding but I could definitely feel the tightness in the hinges (right knee and lower back). Get to the point I hear,

but the point is that the weary joints and muscles are a pretty good indicator of a great trip with buckets of powder. imho.

We were in Hokkaido, Niseko from Jan 1 -18 and the snow falls were very consistent. If you have been keeping an eye on the

Niseko Now snow reports or looking at the pic’s in Mike Pow’s Shiribetsu diary then you would be well aware of this. It was powder

snow (of varying quality and depth) every day. It made it very hard to take a day off but hey, it is a holiday for us too, so we did take

a couple of days to just chill out.

We did some resort exploring this trip with quick visits to Resutsu , Kiroro and the usual Niseko spots of Annupuri and Moiwa.

Additionally, I did some research on various things (mostly from ideas formed from Snow Japan forum discussions) for future

trips that I may want to participate in eg. Noasc (Yotei guide &/ or cat ski), Gemtem boards, more Resutsu, updating worn out

gear and the need for some additional equipment to enable exploration of more terrain. I definitely need to be better prepared

prior to next trip, not leave gear purchases to the last minute! (Hint)

My general game plan at Hirafu/Hanazono is similar to others. Hit the Ace quad or Hirafu Gondola early, put a quick run or two

under either and depending on mood / crowd (Maharashi was surprisingly very uncrowded this trip, probably because the gates

were consistently opened) head over to lower Jacksons (everyone was there) and do a couple of laps, queue up on the single

chair for the ride to the peak. Make way to Hanazono base. Don’t forget to stop off at the bell, ring twice for luck and clear goggles

at dryer. Then repeat peak as many times as possible.

Riding the powder snow is what Japan is all about for me and Hirafu/Hanazono certainly delivered the goods this trip. Very happy!

However the resort does maintain jumps and rails if that’s your thing on both sides.

I have been posting some pictures in my album but mainly scenery shots only (from ipod touch)and will try to put some more up

soon (Back at work now – busy, busy but will try not to be a stranger/ lurker). I don’t possess a Go Pro so you’ll just have to take

my word for it!

By the way, my ticket got lost in the post or something but thought I’d do a report for SJ’rs regardless.

Thanks for sharing!

The pics are a bit special - Love the Yotei ones, the view there never seems to be the same twice.

Obviously not your dog, but looks like a border collie to me. Lovely dogs, them.

Someone should tell Sapporo brewery that beer doesn't improve with age - so the idea of a "vintage" beer is just so yuuuk! Besides, when does beer ever get to "age"?

Thanks Ja

Thanks for sharing!

The pics are a bit special - Love the Yotei ones, the view there never seems to be the same twice.

Can't help myself - always take snaps of Yotei. It has a magnetic quality.

Obviously not your dog, but looks like a border collie to me. Lovely dogs, them.

Again,we are mad about animals (and have a special spot for borders). Can't help but say hello.

Someone should tell Sapporo brewery that beer doesn't improve with age - so the idea of a "vintage" beer is just so yuuuk! Besides, when does beer ever get to "age"?

I didn't drink this one but was looking for a beer named something like this and suggested to be worth a sip from info supplied on the 2013 beer appreciation thread. Might be the wrong one?

Thanks for sharing!

It's not vintage beer, it's the 2012 vintage hops....ie the 2012 crop of hops from Furano that they are using in the beer