I didn't say it was sophisticated :p

You said it yourself....the travel agents started marketing it.....heavily. Whether the marketing came from within is irrelevant, the machine is grinding away.

I know it's a little off topic, but have any of you guys seen the snow monkeys bathing? Obviously it'd be a bit touristy but it looks cool too if it isn't TOO huge of an inconvenience. Any sense of getting there from Nozawa Onsen? Are other great ski hills closer to this?

once you arrive in nozawa youll probably get on a bus to the town area. On that bus will be an advert for a company doing half day trips to the monkey onsen. If memory serves its 5800yen pp? Its not too far.

The monkeys are worth a look, wear what ever foot wear gives you the most grip on ice though, the path up can be really slippery.

... and the monkey area is covered in pooh so make sure you dont like your shoes too much...

The monkeys are worth a look, wear what ever foot wear gives you the most grip on ice though, the path up can be really slippery.

... and the monkey area is covered in pooh so make sure you dont like your shoes too much...

Will keep that in mind :) Are they always there in February or do some people go and see nothing? Also, what do you guys think about me making Nozawa Onsen my top choice? Do you guys like the village and skiing there?

I'm sure you won't be disapointed in Nozawa.We went there in 2010 good slopes and great town.stayed at Villa Nozawa Mark and his team are great.We did a bus tour to the monkeys sake restaurant and then to the big temple in Nagano.took the whole day and it was good We always go in feb and there was heaps of the little fury guys there then

Theyre always there those little assholes. Ive been twice, they sicken me with their absolute disregard for the paying public. They just kinda walk around under your feet and get pissed off if you try and interact with them (not that i would, i aint that stupid, theyre wild fekkin animals - i have seen plenty of idiots try though and get swung at for their trouble).

As for nozawa, how long you staying? Not that it matters because i reckon you could probably ride the place for a week or so before you got totally bored and started looking across at togari and wondering what its like (the nighta is better if memory serves me right). If you do get too bored theres always ryuoo and kosha to play on. But no real public transport to get you there so er, youll need a car or youll need to hope yoru hostel dudes will drive you there and pick you up :)

Really if youre staying in nozawa youre riding nozawa (or togari). Thats pretty much your options without a car and not having to ride all the way into toyama to switch trains (to myoko. kurohime, iizuna). Allegedly theres buses from iiyama, but no ones posted up any timetables yet, so ill believe that when i see it (i tried last year to get a bus to ryuoo from there - no chance, taxi only - cost about 8000 yen).

Silly me, i forgot about the madarao/togari/nozawa bus. So three resorts. That pretty much gives you about two weeks to be honest of unbored riding.