Board shipment to Niseko (and other silly question)

Hi there, i'm in Tokyo right now, i'm gonna move a bit in the next two weeks and on january 30th i'll be in Niseko, so i'd like to ship my board bag to my accomodation, traveling with my gear is pretty uncomfortable as you can imagine...

So do you know how it works? Where i can go to ship the bag and approximately the price for the shipment?

Also, do you know where i can buy an arva here in Tokyo? And what's the cheapest airline for Hokkaido? I still have to book the plane ticket!!

Company is called Kuro Neko Yamato.....look for the black car sign. You can find then at the airport, but also your hotel will have the forms for u to fill in, ask at reception. Flights up to Sapporo can be booked thru skymark and air do although usually it's cheaper the longer notice you book by. Air Asia also fly up there but I dunno if they are only Kansai or if they are Tokyo as well

Hi there, i'm in Tokyo right now, i'm gonna move a bit in the next two weeks and on january 30th i'll be in Niseko, so i'd like to ship my board bag to my accomodation, traveling with my gear is pretty uncomfortable as you can imagine...

So do you know how it works? Where i can go to ship the bag and approximately the price for the shipment?

As Tubby says, but it's Black Cat not car (that's a typo).

Ask your hotel, but if that fails you can arrive at Narita Airport and ship it.

Also, do you know where i can buy an arva here in Tokyo?

An Arva is an avalanche beacon? Is it a particular brand, or is that just the italian word for any beacon?

I don't know where is the best place to buy one or the best brand to buy, but I do know they are available.

There is a ski and snowboard area in Kanda area, you will definitely be able to find one there.

And what's the cheapest airline for Hokkaido? I still have to book the plane ticket!!

No idea which is the cheapest, but many airlines fly from Tokyo up to Niseko.

We usually fly JAL from Haneda Airport. If there is a decent concierge at your hotel I would ask them to see what flights are available.

Thanks for the fast replies, i hope it's possible to ship the bag directly from Tokyo, i don't wanna go to Narita just to ship it and come back!

Yes arva is how we call the beacon, taken from some foreigner country, not sure wich one, anyway i was thinking about a Ortovox, but the brand is not mandatory, i'll check Kanda area!

Black Cat will pick up from the hotel, get the front desk to sort it. I understand they collect from private residences too but you'll need to check that if you require it. Just send it a couple days before you are going to ensure its there when you get there. Awesome service.

In the time you specified you could get a beacon shipped to you from overseas if you cant find one in Tokyo.

Having done a little research Im buying a Mammut PULSE Barryvox

If you google Avalanache Beacon Reviews you'll find some good reading material.

Then if you google Mammut PULSE Barryvox you'll find a range of vendors selling them.

Hope this helps.

Oh Pete, that's interesting.

PB and I are in the market for beacons at the moment and I LOVE Mammut.

I have a Mammut Jacket and noticed they had Avie gear when we were in Chamonix a couple of weeks ago....didn't have time to check it out though as the small cub was hurt and we were high tailing back to the hotel.

I will check it out, thanks.

Flights up to Sapporo can be booked thru skymark and air do although usually it's cheaper the longer notice you book by. Air Asia also fly up there but I dunno if they are only Kansai or if they are Tokyo as well

I found a good deal on Air Asia, Narita-New Chitose round trip for 10000yen. I shipped my board bag, so i'm pretty much set!!

The one thing i don't know yet is for the flight back to Narita, i have just my board bag (with clothes and a small empty duffel in it), you have to pay for the checked bag and in their rules it's stated there can be just snowboard gear in it, does anybody know if it's true and i have to pay for an extra bag (the duffel) or i can just put everyhing in the snowboard bag?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm coming to this thread late. I'm a big fan of using the takkyuhaibin service. For future reference, you can ship from private residences by just calling them. Taking your stuff to their service counters, wherever they may be will only save you 100¥ and in the case of sending it from airports, will actually be more expensive because there is a 500¥(ish) service charge. As well, you can get any of the necessary forms from 7-11 if your hotel or accommodation doesn't have any (which is often the case). You have two options, pay when you send or pay when you receive. There are also a bunch of different companies who provide this service, like Sagawa, who are very accommodating and helpful.

Flights up to Sapporo can be booked thru skymark and air do although usually it's cheaper the longer notice you book by. Air Asia also fly up there but I dunno if they are only Kansai or if they are Tokyo as well

I found a good deal on Air Asia, Narita-New Chitose round trip for 10000yen. I shipped my board bag, so i'm pretty much set!!

The one thing i don't know yet is for the flight back to Narita, i have just my board bag (with clothes and a small empty duffel in it), you have to pay for the checked bag and in their rules it's stated there can be just snowboard gear in it, does anybody know if it's true and i have to pay for an extra bag (the duffel) or i can just put everyhing in the snowboard bag?

In my experience you can put whatever you like into the bag and no one is going to check. They'll ask you what's in it but just politely tell them that it is all snowboarding gear and it should be fine.