I would say there may be a few.......Hakuba and Niseko, while fantastic places to shred are only 2 resort areas in Japan. Off the top of my head, places on Honshu that are top notch and worth a trip for the international traveller........Shiga Kogen, Nozawa Onsen, Myoko Kogen, Zao Onsen, Kagura (Yuzawa area in general is quite underrated IMO by international travellers....while the resorts may tend to be a little compact, the amount of snow is huge!). Hokkaido has places like Rusutsu, Kiroro, Furano, Kamui while the Sapporo resorts of Sapporo Teine and Kokusai get good reports from powder hounds......if you think Japan is only the 2 big hitters then you haven't exactly researched much

"off the hook" as in awesome snow / terrain/ nightlife I think Niseko has the best nightlife follwed by Hakuba but I haven't ventured further, the snow is dependant on the weather as much as the location and terrain honsho would have to have it for the steeps.

Trawl through the reviews to get more info

seemore

The reasons I choose those are this. Nozawa has a life after skiing or riding. The town itself can make a holiday if you love an old feel to your ski resort.

Myoko hard to fault the shear volume of snow they stack up come January. They lack the BC options of Hakuba and the courses arent really that steep but

the trees go off if you know where to look. Again seeing people struggle to save there houses daily because of the snow is a bit of a turn on. Furano is sort

of Niseko east. Less snow but man it can play big. The trees are good and the town is set up and you can enjoy yourself after skiing. Also lots of options

if you rent a car or take a bus tour. There are other places of course but there in general are catering more to overseas tourists now and can deal with them

in a reasonable way.

• Like 1