First time to Japan: Gear Rental and other questions

Hi!

Im a swiss student currently studying in Shanghai. I m planning to visit Japan in february to do some powder skiing. Im primarily interested in backcountry skiing (I mostly do skitouring in switzerland). Now my questions:

- I have my skis/snowboard and gear in switzerland. Is rental gear (skis and safety equipment) widely available? Or are there stores selling used equipment (I think about skiing for 2 to 3 weeks in different locations)?

- Are hostels the best low price accommodations available or are there better places to stay (Im student, so price is most important ;-)) and are there generally a lot of skiers staying in hostels (Im travelling by myself and need to find people to go ride in the backcountry)?

- Any recommendations for places to go to, especially for skitouring? I prefer less crowded places and dont need as many lifts and slopes as possible.

Thanks, Birk.

Everyone is gonna say Hokkaido, so... As one of your stops, you could do worse than spend some time in Hakkoda. Hakkoda Sanso hotel has some common rooms with about 8 ppl on bunk beds - good option to hook up with others for touring. You do need a guide for Hakkoda. But Hakkoda on a good day > Niseko on a good day, at least in my book. Those good days though are quite rare - in terms of weather window to access the big terrain. Normally it'll just be puking snow every day.

Other options to consider, in no particular order

== On Hokkaido:

Niseko (plenty of ski bum accoms)

Asahidake

Kurodake

Teine

==On Honshu:

Nozawa Onsen

Kagura

Hakuba

Myoko (Akakura Onsen)

Happy reading!

D

Don't think everyone would say Hokkaido. There are quite a few bc riders based in Hakuba who could well have the goods on the big mountains in that area to share. The list above is a good list to trawl thru and see what you'd prefer......Hokkaido and Honshu has some awesome places

im going to have to assume you mean akakan over akakura onsen. Unless you just mean a place to stay. No one with any interest in snowboarding and has no family with them should contemplate akakura onsen. That place is a hole.

However, if given the choice and so long as its not slushy, i think suginohara is the jewel in the myoko crown (though since they closed one of the key lifts in mitahara it has lost a bit of its sheen).