Just wondering whether anyone has stayed at either hotel moegi or aria hotel - both in Wadano, Hakuba. We have a choice of the two and aren't sure which to take. We want to be close to lifts, shuttle buses and onsens. We also want somewhere with helpful staff/owners who speak at least a little english (only because we speak very little japanese although we are trying to improve that) to help us out with transport etc from time to time.

Its always difficult without having been somewhere. Any advice as to the relative location of each would be much appreciated.

I've stayed at Moegi a couple times over the years. I haven't stayed at the Aria ....yet. They are in quite different locations and each has their good and bad points in terms of location. Moegi is ski in/out. You just go across the road and up by the sushi restauruant at the bottom of Shirakaba pair lift. Zip over to the left and you are at the gondola quick. Aria is up by the visitor center and the nearest lift is Kokusai which is a bit of a walk...only five minutes or so though. Either are going to be close to shuttle busses but I'd probably give the Aria the nod for that one being so close to the visitor center. I honestly don't know for sure though as we always drive. Both are going to have English support so that shouldn't be a problem.

Hi Chriselle,

thanks for the response. I have a few questions if you dont mind?

How far apart are they? Would it take long to walk from Moegi to the visitor center?

What is the bennefit of being close to the visitor centre?

Is Moegi a big hotel or is it pretty small?

Many thanks

It's probably less than 1km between Moegi and the visitor center so it's not too bad. I see people walking up there all the time. Moegi is pretty much right in the village..up a bit from the gondola. That means you are close to the shops and stuff in the village. The visitor center is in a nicer area ( I think ) with more ambiance and a fairly good number of restaurants and places for a nightcap on and around the road going up through the forest to Sakka lifts. We go up to Hakuba about 7 or 8 times a season and we've been staying in this area exclusively for the last few years.

Moegi is pretty nice..it's not big by any means but not a lodge either. I liked the common area on the main floor for lounging and having a beer... enjoyed talking with other guests. Food was good if I remember correctly.

How about a few days at one and a few at the other....we do that quite often actually. ;)